Hip flexor exercises?

Hoosier_JB

Hey all,

I work out and run regularly to stay in shape for the times when I can get away and get up into the mountains. I also try to spend some time with a pack on, even if it is just trudging around Discovery Park.

However, at the end of the first day in the mountains the front of my legs just below my hip belt, my hip flexors I believe, are sore. I am not incapacitated, but I am sore and usually continue to be for a few days.

Beyond the obvious (do more hiking with a heavy pack, pack lighter) does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what I could do to strengthen this part of the body.

Not to dismiss those obvious ideas, they make sense, but I would like to come up with something that I could incorporate into my workouts in the gym so it could be a regular part of my routine. Would step ups work at all?

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had that same problem resulting from backcountry skiing. First, stretch out your flexors regularly doing lunges, in addition to quads, hamstring, etc.

Second, i use a stretchy rubber cord. fix one end to something and put the other end around your ankle and do knee lifts. this really works your flexor so start slow.

the last thing is to take a anti-inflamitory before your activity, Aleve, this will help prevent inflamation and the resulting pain. this is only a temporary mesure, proper exercises should relieve this problem.

I second the stretchy rubber cord. Like cman said, start slow because it really works the area. For a good stretch, get on one knee with the other leg in front of you with foot on the ground and knee at about a 90 degree angle. Stretch forward so that front knee angle gets smaller and you start to feel the pull on the front of your quad and hip flexor of the leg with knee on the ground.(hope you can picture that).

I guess either way would work, although to do it standing would require a bit of balance. If lying, tie the stretchy cord around a fixed object and lay on the ground with your feet towards where the cord is anchored. Loop the cord around your foot or ankle and bring your knee towards your chest.

I get really really sore in my left hip flexor while climbing in boots/cramps. What helped me was:

1. Some regular yoga that targets stretching them. e.g. warrior pose

2. Doing some of my training such as stairmaster work using ankle weights to simulate 5lbs of boots/cramps.

For my situation, I believe the weight of the boots was the biggest issue. You can train for several thousand feet per day, but if you are doing it in tennis shoes or even hiking boots, actually climbing that distance with plastics and steel crampons is going to be significantly more work and stress on the flexors.