Glacier on Three Fingers

nolanr

I had no idea it was that significant. I was up there on Sunday. I haven't seen it this melted out before, I assumed most of the lower part was a snowfield. Nope. Pretty broken up, pretty good sized crevasses in a few places. Interesting. And then on the drive back down to the Mt. Loop Hwy I encountered 4 yahoos w/ a pickup parked in the middle of the road, a case of beer on the ground, and one of them had a gun cradled in his arm. Genius. I didn't stick around long to find out if they were shooting at passing cars. Rednecks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I was driving an obscure logging road (what's new, eh?) up near Darrington on Sunday and came upon a shotgun lying in the road. There was no one else around. I didn't want to run over the gun so I placed it on the side. Then two guys came along on little motorbikes and I told them about the gun back down the way. When I got back the gun was gone so they must have liked what they saw. I've seen a lot of things on logging roads but coming across a gun was a new one for me. Probably some redneck left it on the roof of his truck and drove off. pitty.gif

What are you talking about? Get some wit, bub.

Quien Sabe is Indian, probably Chinook the way things go in the Cascades. I believe the name refers to a mountain god or some indian folklore (Dr. Roper, Mr. Majors, where art thou?) Incidentally, the Quien Sabe used to be called (by miners) the Boston Glacier and the current Boston Glacier used to be called Silver Basin Glacier, but the names were changed long ago.

Once upon a time, a very long, long time ago, back in legendary time, before the white man or any other Indian people, there lived in the Sauk-Stillaguamish valleys a strong and handsome Indian man. His name was "Queest Alb." He led a happy life. The land there was beautiful, and still is. There were berries and plants galore to eat. Fish and deer were plentiful....

Our good friend Harry Majors had a hand in renaming the glaciers on Whitehorse and Three FIngers, to reflect local legends.

crevasse.jpg