Fossil Rock, where are you?

ChocChick

Went to go try out a new area yesterday - Fossil Rock. We had - for some reason - a hard time finding the climbing area. The map in the Washington Rock book isn't all that accurate. After some bushwacking, we finally stumbled on to the place, but didn't climb because we were running out of daylight. Is it worth it to go back again and climb? Anyone out there a Fossil Rock climber? Next time we are biking in, no doubt about it.

The view of Rainier from there is F-ING AWESOME! laugh.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey TUIB,

Fossil rock isn't that great, but I found a few enjoyable climbs there. Battle of the Bulge was pretty cool and there were a couple of good routes to the right of that. I've only been there once. I used the "Rock Climbing Washington" description to find it and didn't have too much trouble. Bikes (with low gears) would be a good idea.

The clear-cut and bolted-on-hold ambiance kind of turned me off to the area, but if you live in the general area, it might be worth another trip.

I've been there a few times. Definitely bring bikes. Rock quality is good in spots and nasty in others. There are a few good moderate routes on the back wall in addition to some good tougher routes. If you're not a fan of crowds it's a good place to be.

fossil is a fun place to climb beside the obvious drawbacks. tho after you have done the few travelled routes there is much adventure potential. personally i dig the ambiance much better then that of exit 38 and the obnoxious road noise and crowds that it holds.

some entertaing bouldering below the road that goes up to the wall. and also lotsa ticks!!

there is a good guide put out by yoder and crew. prolly only available at backpackers in tacoma.

pm lucky as he is/was a driving force behind that place at one time or another.