South Sister Route?- 8/18/2004

thehikingdude

Climb: South Sister Route?-

Date of Climb: 8/18/2004

Trip Report:

I'm scheduled for a 3-night backpacking trip next Thursday, 8/26. We will be hiking into Golden Lake via Park Meadows trailhead. Any comments on the routes up South Sister. I've not been here and am seeing numerous routes on the map. I know the south route is easy, but a little further out of the way. Does anybody have any suggestions for an eastern route for a newbie. Thanks to all!!!!!

Edited by thehikingdude

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, there is no good "walk-up" route on the east side of the mountain. However, you can meet up with the south side route from Green Lakes. This is actually a much better climb, in my opinion, then the standard south route from Devil's Lake. In fact, it was what got me into mountaineering way back when my dad took me up there as a kid. The route starts out of Green Lakes by a waterfall, and an obvious path.

If it is your first time up a Cascade volcano, be sure to be prepared for fast-changing weather and potentially cold winds up high. If there is no wind it will be hot as heck though. Though you will see people on the Lewis Glacier, it does have crevasses in places, and there is often a large "moat" near the edge.

Whatever you end up doing, take some bug repellent for the camp at the lake!

I had read about that route being a good option. Is that route SS-1 on the Geo-Graphics 3 Sisters Wilderness Map?

Sounds like I should plan on bringing my Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Jacket along with my Deet.

Has anybody been up to Golden Lake recently? How's the weather currently?

thx!

I don't have the Geo-Graphics map nearby, but it's probably the one you mention. Be careful relying on those dotted lines. Some of the routes (n. ridge of Middle Sister, for example) are not correct.

The trail picks up steeply at the waterfall by Green Lakes, and it's pretty obvious from there. There will be some patches of snow to cross, some with a bit of steepness to them, but usually people have no problem with it. A hiking stick might be nice if you don't have an ice axe, but you could get by without them. The trail eventually meets up with the standard, Moraine Lake trail near a glacial tarn below the Lewis Glacier. From there, it is a sweaty affair up a volcanic ridgeline to the summit crater. Hope that helps.

3rd vote. Last time I took the Green Lakes route up SS (mid summer) our group was only people we saw from time we got out of our tent until we hit the Southside route connect by the lake Ian mentions. Almost felt like wilderness until we ran into hoards of blue jean clad day hikers with their army canteens and canine companions.

If you have the time and are feeling adventurous, you can also hit the NW ridge of Broken Top from a Green Lakes base camp. Be careful at the top though if you don't know what you are doing.

One other thing to consider if you were thinking of Green Lakes as a camp site for Saturday night. There are a limited number of camping spaces available there and they could be full on a weekend night.

Sounds great! We have discussed checking out Broken Top on Saturday. I'm going to take it easy since I don't want to break my top. cantfocus.gif Please forgive me.

I just picked up a Black Diamond Lighthouse but I don't think I'm going to have time to seal the seams before we hit the trail. Am I crazy to consider doing this in camp once it's setup?