Boring TR of waste of time trip

Peter_Puget

Left Seattle in the am and drove east on hwy #2. east of Skykomish we pulled off the road and did some binocular climbing. Our goal: a huge boulder field with a short but very wide cliff on its east boundry. My partners had explored the access road a few weeks earlier and talked to someone who had made the approach to the boulderfield. They said that it took them three hours but that it would be possible in hindsight to do it in about an hour with beta. The rock was relatively clean large grained granite.

So with this knowledge and psyched from the binocular previewing off we went. The road to the parking area was narrow but in remarkably good condition. We were hoping that we'd get some views as we drove but alas none were forthcoming. After parking we started the hike up the hill. It never ended and a crashpad - even the small Metolius variety - is the biggest pain in the ass while bushwacking! After and hour and half we realized that there was no way we would ever be coming back so down wen went after enver even seeing our goal!!!! After reaching the car we sped done the hwy and hiked to the boulders below the Zeke's Wall. Easier access but need more development for me to go back. Basically I need less exploration and more climbing when I get out.

In summary the boulder field east of Skykomish - (northside of hwy) way too far approach. Zeke's - easy approach lots to do but needs more development. Never really had to break out the crash pad.

[ 08-12-2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Peter Puget ]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very clever. For anybody who would believe this ridiculous story, there now exists serious doubt that you and Matt K. are the same animal. Ain't no way Matt would ever blow his sunny day foolin' around like that.

Now answer me this question. Have you ever climbed Mt. Rainier? If so, provide the details of any adolescent ascents you might have made of "Raindawg", and I will know for certain whether or not you are Matt K.

[Wazzup]

Awesome TR Peter!! You rock! [rockband]

Here's my boring but beta packed [big Grin] TR:

Went to Index on Saturday to climb Davis-Holland/Lovin' Arms. Hiked up, set about climbing. Saw noone. That low marine layer, kept away the view but also the heat away. That ledge at the top of p3 is a real cush lounger. Perfect t-shirt temps no bugs.

Did that alternate "10a" start to p3. I agree with the consensus here that it seemed harder. I needed to resort to using chalk to make the first move [Eek!] .

Finished the climb. Felt pretty blown. That's a tough climb after many weeks on the couch. I fell (on second) on the top pitch from the lactic buildup of the previous 5 pitches.

Single rope rap gets you down the top pitch. One double rope rap gets you from there (top of p5) to the lounger belay (top of p3). Then two more raps straight down that intimidating Sport Wall.

That drained feeling remained after some lunch. Unmotivated we went to halfheartedly look at Lamplighter. That first pitch looks pretty cool. Anybody here done that who wants to give a critical review?

Walked over to the cheeks and climbed the first pitch of the Zipper. Looked slabby enough to complete with our noodlearms. It was. Fun pitch!The guide says you can get down with a single rope rappel. Though you should beware that you can't get up it with a doubled skinny rope. We needed to untie one end and finish the last 10 feet with a single strand. Luckily the crux was already passed.

That's it. Walked back to the car. Still saw only one party all day at the Upper Wall on a beautiful Saturday. Guess everybody went to the real mountains that day. Got a big beer [big Drink] at the General Store. Got home for jammy time.

Pope Quote:"Very clever. For anybody who would believe this ridiculous story, there now exists serious doubt that you and Matt K. are the same animal. Ain't no way Matt would ever blow his sunny day foolin' around like that."

Now Pope just what the heck are you raving about? What a goofball! And the story is most certainly true. By the way exactly what was the date of the day that was wasted? As always chatter and no content.

ChucK - Sounds like you had a great day. Here is what I remember of the first pitch of Lamplighter. The bottom is really awkward and harder than it looks the upper half is fun.

[big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by pope:

Very clever. For anybody who would believe this ridiculous story, there now exists serious doubt that you and Matt K. are the same animal. Ain't no way Matt would ever blow his sunny day foolin' around like that.

Now answer me this question. Have you ever climbed Mt. Rainier? If so, provide the details of any adolescent ascents you might have made of "Raindawg", and I will know for certain whether or not you are Matt K.

[Wazzup]

HEY POPE CHECK IT OUT!!

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Now Pope just what the heck are you raving about? What a goofball! And the story is most certainly true. By the way exactly what was the date of the day that was wasted? As always chatter and no content.

The date of the day wasted? What was the date of your birth? But seriously, I'm not sure I understand your question. It was your adventure. When did it happen? And have your climbed Rainier?

Dru, nice to know you were thinking of me when I was away. Sorry I missed the first printing, but I was at the beach teaching my kid to fly a kite.

BTW, I took my name from a character in a Clint Eastwood movie.

Pope quote:"The date of the day wasted? What was the date of your birth? But seriously, I'm not sure I understand your question. It was your adventure. When did it happen? And have your climbed Rainier?"

Well you claimed it was a "sunny day" and I was wondering why you thought that. The odd thing is you claimed to know the weather, then call the report a lie, then base a conclusion on my identity based on that very lie. Amazing!

I admit at first your fascination with me was a bit endearing - still odd though - but now it is just plain creepy.

By the way every time I see that "sixpack ab" commercial on TV I think: Hey Pope bears an ucanny resemblance to fitness celebrity Jon Basedow! Inquiring minds want to know.

PP

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Well you claimed it was a "sunny day" and I was wondering why you thought that. The odd thing is you claimed to know the weather, then call the report a lie, then base a conclusion on my identity based on that very lie. Amazing!

I admit at first your fascination with me was a bit endearing - still odd though - but now it is just plain creepy.

By the way every time I see that "sixpack ab" commercial on TV I think: Hey Pope bears an ucanny resemblance to fitness celebrity Jon Basedow! Inquiring minds want to know.

PP

I was down near Westport all week and it was sunny enough, so I just made an assumption about the weather. My point is that your story removes all doubt in my mind: you are not Matt K.

[ 10-20-2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: pope ]