Newbie rope question

jeffh

I have been climbing now for about a year and need to purchase a rope. Yep, up until now, I have been on routes on Hood, Adams, Shasta, St. Helens where I didn't need a rope, or if a rope was needed like Rainier and Shuksan, a partner provided one. The majority of my climbing will continue to be galcier/snow routes with higher difficulities but am interested in increasing the amount of mixed climbing I do as I improve my climbing skills. I don't see myself doing anything but low 5.whatever for the next couple of years if that. But I definately will be doing more mixed.

I have been reading past posts on this subject, asking local gear shops, and people I climb with and think I have my mind made up but would like feedback from the people on this site before I do some more damage to my credit card.

Would you go the double or single rope route under these circumstances?

Single seems easier, more all-around, less overall wieght and costs less (I am not really worried about cost when it comes to a safety issue)

Leaning this way with either the Bluewater Dominator 9.4 or the Mammut Revelations 9.2

If I go double, I could just use one for the glacier travel routes, they are better for longer raps, lower impact forces, safer with rock/ice fall issues and climbers using sharp instruments. If went this route, looking at Edelweiss Stratos 9.0 or Bluewater Excellence 8.6.

Again, leaning towards the single setup mainly because it seems more versatile. Thanks for any comments and/or suggestions you may have on this.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are new, I would recommend a single rope. Doubles are a little more complicated to use.

A thinner rope will take less abuse and will need to be replaced more often than a thick rope. No big deal, really.

Look at the clearance websites like reioutlet.com, Mgear's sale page and Backcountry's sale page.

2 person glacier travel: 8.5mmX50m DRY

3 or 4 person glacier travel: 8.5mmX60m DRY

Alpine rock climbing: 9.4mmX60m

Cragging: 10.5mmX60m

Ice Climbing: 8.5mmX60m DRY (two of them)

Whatever you plan to do the most, get that rope system. If you want one rope that will do it all pasably, the alpine rock rope is probably the way to go.

bigdrink.gif