Petzl Spirlock Crampons

cj001f

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of these and so far I'm not too impressed. The crampons are great but the heel attachment system is harder to get on than a normal lever setup.

Thanks-

That's kind of what I thought looking at them in the store, I ended up getting the newmatic style.

yeah. I have a pair of Vasak's with this attachment. In general, the crampons are great, but the new lever feels like it is going to snap off when you cam it over. I wound up sanding a 1/4" off the heel sole of my boots with a belt sander to ease up the tension on the crampon mechanism. That being said, once they are on, they are not going to come off.

I have a pair with this attachment and they seem to go on quite easily and seem solid when on. Slide the heel in first, then rock forward on the toe, strap them up, good to go.

The heel attachment slides in easy and holds great. Even with the width of the back of the crampon being wider than the heel of my boot (Trango S).

chris

(correct typo 8/12)

Edited by chriss

I have the Sarken. I like the less bulky assembly on the back of my boot. I do think the plastic pull lever thingy will break off eventually. Then I will have to use my axe pick to lock it. I had no problems during the short period of time I used them in AK in Apr/May. I did talk to a fella who said he knew of people that had the levers snap off.

I do love the the fact they only weigh 32os with antibots.

Non-replacable front points dull very quickly but climb rock well. I have my Grivel G-14's for waterfall ice.

Petzl does sell replacements for the forward half of the crampons for about $75 (just what I heard).

Jedi