New to area -Anything Near the Tri Cities????

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a rock climbing area I've never been to but is apparently growing in popularity in the Tieton area just east of White Pass in the Southern Cascades. Surely that wouldn't be more than a two-hour drive away. The rocks are someplace south of Rimrock Lake.

If you do a websearch, several Tieton hits come up. Here is one.

Hey thanks guys I found a few new spots through your links, Just trying to figure out what could be "home base", Anyone climb two sisters or devils canyon?

Oh GAWD, I could go on and on about why I hate the Dry Shitties! You poor sap, mortomr. I left the Dry Shitties cuz the climbing sucked so bad. I feel fer ya, bud. cry.gif

Seriously, take these guys up on Spring Mtn, Vantage (Frenchman Coulee) and my stompin' grounds, the Tieton basin.

FYI, a few years back (3 or 4?) the property owner behind Two Sisters rocks complained to the County about climbers there, and the County, in it's infinite stupidity and against the myriad outcries of "FOUL" by the climbing community, closed the area to climbers (only climbers! - not hikers!). Even Andy Fitz and the Access Fund couldn't get it opened back up. That back-sliding, fudge-packing bunch of fahqin county commissioners heard only one word - liability. No real reason or truth provided.

It's kind of a choss pile anyway, but that wasn't our point. I've had several fun times out there when I first moved to the area 15 years ago, and that was where the local climbing club (I-MAC) used to bring newbies to the area to introduce them to the rock. I even have a photo of my then-fiance' TR'ing a route there on the front page of the local weepsheet - above the fold, no less! The place had a history, but no more. Go to Tieton or Vantage for your closest bets to good routes. Spring is next in distance.

Devil's Canyon is CHOSS! It's OK if you have a strong deathwish.

Check out these folks. No real hardmen there anymore, but a good place to find some local partners.

And here's another link to Kevin Pogue's site (climbing home page) which gives route descriptions for Spring and a link to the map that cman already posted.

PS: I'd be up for a trip to S. Fork of Clearwater (Lightning Dome) just about anytime you're interested (later in summer - too hot there right now). Three and a half hours from Dry Shitties, free camping, no trail park pass bullshit, no permit bullshit of any kind. Watch out for the locals, if'n ya know whuddahmean. Check out Location #13 on the map. I've got the topo. Not too much trad stuff there, as you can imagine from Kevin's photos, but it's a slab/face climber's wet dream. smileysex5.gif

Oh GAWD, I could go on and on about why I hate the Dry Shitties! You poor sap, mortomr.

I know I left ten years ago and life drug me back (kicking & screaming)

Check out these folks. No real hardmen there anymore, but a good place to find some local partners.

I stumbled across that one the other day, I'll check them out. I think I'd do good to stay away from the hardmen for a while... the_finger.gif

PS: I'd be up for a trip to S. Fork of Clearwater (Lightning Dome) just about anytime you're interested

I think I need to get a bit more up to speed -it's been a while since I've climbed ANYTHING, need to replace gear, fingers ain't what they used to be, legs mushier than I'd like etc etc -maybe next spring... sounds nice though....

BTW Everyone THANKS for the input, you got me on the right track

PS: I'd be up for a trip to S. Fork of Clearwater (Lightning Dome) just about anytime you're interested

I think I need to get a bit more up to speed -it's been a while since I've climbed ANYTHING, need to replace gear, fingers ain't what they used to be, legs mushier than I'd like etc etc -maybe next spring... sounds nice though....

Ohhhhhh, don't count yourself out that quickly! I'm no spring chicken myself anymore, ya know. Former trad hardman aging very poorly, 40-sumthin first-time Dad and all that. Ya! I get out a lot! HA! yellaf.gif