Russel Glacier Ski

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno about the road. I've never skied up there (hiked up Obs. Rock once, pretty spot) but I thought I'd point you over to turns-all-year as there is lots of info about this tour. The fellow who runs the board, Charles, is a big fan of this area and has posted lots of detailed trip reports and photos in years past (try a search). He also went up there a few weeks ago w/ bikes up the road and posted a trip report. Have fun!

kinda silly to mention this but...the road to Mowich Lake has some big potholes and really sharp gravel. I had a blow-out on that road last year that was bad enough the can of flat fixer I used just shot right out the hole in my tire. So, its not a bad idea to make sure your spare tire is pumped up and you're set to change a flat.

• 2 weeks later...

Road typically open at or around 4 July. If you walk/bike the road it is said to be a great tour BEFORE the road opens. (Next time I want to do the skibike thing to there sometime in June, touring through Spray Park in snow rather than trail, with no one else around, would greatly add to the enjoyment factor.) During most years there is some skiable snow there up to/into September due to Flett Glaciers, which don't really crevasse and hold snow well, so it is a reliable August+ ski-fix locale with much better aesthetics than jostling amidst the suncups and bootpack of the Muir 'Snow'Field. I've never been onto the actual Russell but it looks good as long as you watch out for some occasionally big crevasses. Both times I was there I was too tired from the approach to bother going much higher than Observation Rock or the next high point on Ptarmigan Ridge and then skiing the Flett. If you time it right the headwall at Flett top is a great short steep. Also: consider taking Knapsack Pass approach variation if you don't like crowds on trails.