[TR] The Mole- North Face via the West Face 6/18/2004

telemarker

Climb: The Mole-North Face via the West Face

Date of Climb: 6/18/2004

Trip Report:

My friend Ed and I climbed The Mole Friday, in a one day grunt up Hook Creek. We started at 5.30am from Aphabet Rock pull-out, and was able to reach Edward's Plateau by 10.30am. After a two hour snooze on the plateau (it's quite a place!) we checked out the S. face route, and decided to do something a little different. We hiked down Rat Creek a few hundred feet, to just below the giant chockstone and started up the West Face, right beside the 5.12 crack shown in the Beckey Guide. Apart from the odd loose block, there was fine climbing on slab cracks trending north, with the 3rd pitch being the best, 200 feet on great hand jams that crested the Northwest Buttress. We got pinched out about 3 pitches up, so I made two traversing pitches to the North Face. A 50 meter rappel brought us to a ledge below the last 400 feet of the North Face. Endless hand jamming on two 200 foot pitches brought us to the summit. Two double rope raps off the S. face route and we were hiking back to Yellowjacket Tower, which we made be nightfall. The slabs below the tower are nasty in the dark, so we bivied there and skampered down in the morning.

Gear Notes:

Any gear you feel like hauling up a few thousand feet. You only need one 60 meter rope for the S. Face raps.

Approach Notes:

Great trail up to Yellowjacket Tower, minimal bushwacking around to the drainage, straightforward hike up to Edward's Plateau.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm really confused but isn't the large chockstone on the East side of The Mole between it and the Duolith? How did you circumnavigate the whole formation, that west side is STEEP?

There are 3 variations I know of on the N face. Two are 5.7/8 and are almost exactly 400' long. The other is perhaps 500' and is a bit harder at 9+ish.

Way to get at it! bigdrink.gif

Maybe I'm really confused but isn't the large chockstone on the East side of The Mole between it and the Duolith? How did you circumnavigate the whole formation, that west side is STEEP?

There are 3 variations I know of on the N face. Two are 5.7/8 and are almost exactly 400' long. The other is perhaps 500' and is a bit harder at 9+ish.

Way to get at it! bigdrink.gif

We skirted below the "hollow" Beckey talks about and is clearly visible in his photo, and I led a long, 200 foot slab crack to the NW Ridge. Then made two, upward, north trending traverse pitches to the western edge of the N. face. Also, there are two chockstones, with one being between the Mole and Duolith, and the larger one further down the gully (west).

Hmmm, I guess it's starting to make sense. Clearly I need to get the updated version of the Beckey bible cantfocus.gif my old one has no photo. He refers to a hollow on the West Face route, I assume this is what you mean. I was only aware of the "giant chockstone" between The Mole and The Duolith not of the other further west. Either way nice work! Sounds like a fun way to extend the already entertaining NF routes. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif