Climbing around Cordova?

Suds

I'm working in cordova until November. Anybody know of any climbing around here? I know you can play around on the Childs glacier, but was interested in something more alpine.

Also, when does the valdez ice usually start to form?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i think your best bet is climbing some of the peaks above sheridan glacier. i have done the short hike to the terminus of sheridan and climbing the glacier would seem the best way to access the higher peaks of the area (short of using a helo). it's also not quite as far as childs and you could take the shuttle as far as the airport if you don't have wheels. everything is so close, yet so far. good luck.

I used to live there until 2000. Weather and work kept me from doing much alpine climbing, but I did do the East ridge of Sheridan Mt. Tried it as a solo and chickened out because of the loose rock. Went back with a partner and we did three or four pitches from the notch to the summit. Maybe 5.4. If the snow is melted out of the normal assent gully on the west side it can be difficult to get anchors for rappelling.

For some rock climbing after work check out the rock next to the road about 3 miles out the Power Creek Rd. Several climbs from 5.8 to .11

Valdez can form early depending on the weather. Be prepared and call or travel over to check it out before yuleave in November.