Mt. Erie?

ken4ord

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start in a right facing corner (5.6)then over a bulge to chain anchors. Easy slab leads up right to the snag. Head straight up towards a short right facing corner/roof thing to a big ledge.

!st pitch up corner then straight up to bolts.

2nd pitch goes striaght up from bolts, not to snag, to right facing roof. Follow this crack way up(easier than it looks, good pro), watch for rope drag, to bolts by "teetering" branch.

Many variations to get to top from there.

I'll post some photos later when I get home tonight.

1st Pitch Zig Zag-Up corner ( sorry for the butt shot).

3050P1010001-med.JPG

2nd Pitch Zig Zag-Keep going up this corner to dead branch and bolts. Not to snag.

3050P1010004-med.JPG

Teetering Branch behind me. Sorry for the poser shot!

3050P1010012-med.JPG

About 20 feet to the left of the end of the 2nd pitch is this bolted route. 5.9?

3050P1010019-med.JPG

That combination makes a great three-pitch climb, Mr. Simpkins. If anybody cares, though, I think your second pitch was "Undercover," not Zig Zag. (It is the way I have always done that climb, and I assumed it was ZigZag until last time I was there and somebody told me otherwise.)

One thing about that "Undercover" pitch: it is easier than it looks, as Bill points out, but the exit moves are a little sketchy on poor rock for about ten feet.

Once while climbing to the snag I ran into Dallas Kloke. He informed me this was the true Zig Zag. That the Smoot book was incorrect in going to the Snag.

It doesn't matter though, both ways are fun.

Yeah the top out is a little sketchy, but I think the last piece you can get in is good.

After I was "corrected" about that second pitch, I went home and looked it up in my Mt. Eerie guidebook written by the Skagit County Mtn Rescue Unit. It too shows that as "Undercover" and I thought Dallas Kloke had been involved in the production of that book. confused.gif Anyway, you are corect: it is a good outing and that undercling pitch is very enjoyable!