Brohm Ridge, Garibaldi

flier

I'm planning on climbing Garibaldi and Atwell Peak on Memorial Day weekend. I've heard conflicting reports about the road to Brohm Ridge. Some say the gate is open during the week, some say it's always closed. Does anyone know about this gate? How far up the road can you drive? Is there a shorter approach to climb these peaks? Thanks for any info.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The gate at the top is always locked. You may be able to get a key from the Black Tusk Snowmobile Club.

I think there may be a gate at the bottom too, and I am unsure of it's status.

You should be able to drive to snowline if you are not stopped by a gate at the bottom.

The views up there are spectacular. cool.gif

There is a gate on the Cheekye FSR (the road you first take off Hwy. 99) before Cat Lake that is always locked. However, you need to turn left (north) onto the Brohm River Road before that. The Brohm River Road goes generally north then switches back to the south, rejoining the Cheekye FSR. There is a gate high up on the Cheekye FSR that is usually locked - the snowmobile club has the key. However, it's likely that at this time of year you wouldn't be able to get any farther anyway due to snow, if you can even make it to the gate. You'll need a HC-4WD with good tires to negotiate the upper part of the Brohm River Road and the upper part of the Cheekye FSR. This is the fastest way to climb Garibaldi from the N. However, the east face is also an excellent route taking you to the plateau between the three summits of Garibaldi, Atwell and Dalton Dome. Access is from the Diamond Head (Elfin Lakes shelter) area of Garibaldi Provincial Park. For details, see Kevin McLane's Alpine Select guide for this area.

We were up this weekend and we took the left at the cat lake turnoff and went up the brohm ridge road. No gates were encountered. The road is certainly in rough shape but cars had been up more than 75% of the way to the connector where the two roads join. Since we were in a Civic we parked down at 2km and just walked (which is certainly reasonable as it only adds ~6-7km to the trip).

--reid