recent snow conditions

jonthomp

Am planning on climbing the N. Face of Shuksan this Friday and Saturday (May 14/15) and am looking for any info on recent snow conditions. Anyone been in the area over this past weekend or within the last week? In general what are people finding out there? We're trying to move light and fast so soft snow could be problematic.

Edited by jonthomp

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a foot of powder on Baker (above 6500 feet, Coleman-Deming route) last Thursday, with some evidence of developing windslab on leeward slopes (north-facing and such) due to high winds. Probably another few inches of snow over the last few days. I would personally be concerned about avalanche danger especially if windslab has developed on the North Face. And I would expect postholing.

hey, did you guys go to Stuart? I had to bail for Mother's Day.

Yeah, check out the TR in the north cascades forum (accidentally posted it there). We climbed the ice cliff and skied the sherpa. awesome day!

Moved to correct forum wave.gif see it in Alpine lakes, good TRs from Josh and Terry.

TTT