Headlamps: Zenix vs. Myo 5 - which is better?

cjain

Anyone have the chance to try both the BD Zenix and the Petzl Myo 5.in the mountains and compare?

No question that the Zenix is significantly lighter then the Myo 5 and its spare batteries are lighter too. But how does the Zenix's single "hyperbright" LED compare to the Petzl's halogen lamp.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i just bought a zenix two weeks ago, and so far have only used it on trails and around camp. I was also looking at the MYO 5, but the improved battery life of the 1 watt LED sealed the deal for me. I used to have a princeton-tec matrix, but using the halogen bulb, I was lucky to get 1 hour in cold weather. The low watt leds on the zenix are surprisingly bright as well. It gives off considerably more light than myh girlfriends old cheapo 5 led model. In high power mode, the light is noticably brighter than older leds. I can't imagine needing a brighter light for most climbing adventures that I plan to encounter. In terms of direct bulb comparison, the MYO 5 will appear brighter, but I don't beleive this small amount of extra brightness is worth all the other tradeoffs. Plus the zenix is a good deal.

I've got the xenix and the myo 3 i think? The Myo 5 has 5 LED's right? I don't even use my Myo 3 anymore. With the hallogen on, it is definitly brighter than the bright bulb on the xenix, but it goes dead a lot faster. For a one night thing, and if you need all the brighness you can get, the myo might be better. But take it on longer trips and you gotta haul a lot of batteries around too.