frying pan glacier

Blakej

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up on Fryingpan last June and it was fairly straightforward. There was a good sized bergie along the Whitman crest, a couple small seracs pushed up in the center of the glacier, a few crevasses starting to open up. It seemed that the Southeast half of the glacier was more stable than the northwestern.

There are some crevasses in there, but I'm sure you'll be just fine as long as you pay attention to what you're doing.

many glaciers are safe to ski, but.... beginner, solo, and glacier, are three variables to cause concern...how about a ski tour on some glaciers with some people first, getting a look at what a snow filled crevasse looks like? How about coming to the ski in this weekend, i'll bet some people are going to silverstar for some skiing? Fryingpan glacier, how will you be getting there, the road's to sunrise is still closed...

I was told the road should be open far enough to skin in but like you said beginner, solo, glacier. I wanted to be sure and as you've raised the question I think I'll avoid it without a partner. As for this weekend I have to make a trip to portland unfortunately no climbing involved.