Down Air Mattress

2morehours

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yeah!

I have used the 3/4 old school Ridge Rest (loved the oz's) for years and have always had trouble sleeping on it. So I picked up the lightweight (wide width -nice for the arms/shoulders-try it!) air mattress by Exped ($50 - Yeah not as thrifty as the Ridge Rest) and used it two weeks ago up on Muir with my full length Ridge Rest. I would have slept great if it weren’t for the howling wind. Yeah, I know I should have packed some earplugs.

Anyways, the moral is I packed allot of pad and loved it but you could consider only the Exped Air on snow but I'm not sure how much insulation it would provide. I would save the $$$ and ditch the down. My climbing buddy picked up the standard w/out down and regrets not getting the wide. Go with the wide for only a few oz's (it even fits in a bivy)!

Cheers,

the future is a rack of micro-robots that climb ahead of you and place themselves cleanly without harming the rock or delicate cliffside vegetation.
A sort of moving top rope. All you need is a couple of the little guys on each of two separate strands, playing leap frog as you ascend. They'd have to be fast climbers, though. Geek_em8.gif