Stubai crampons... way too much strap?

Blake

to anyone else who has the red and silver stubai ultralight crampons... is the strap about 2 or 3 times as long as needed to stretch to the front, inner ankle, and back to the outer edge of the ankle where it's secured? Do you all just try and tuck this log tag end into something to keep it from flopping loose?

329706-cramp.JPG.ee6a9575287992d4fc2705c4dbd4f3f6.JPG

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do not shorten them unless you really have to. Instead, do as Sobo suggested, and run them around your ankle once. This will probably do it, and it will mean that you won't lose the crampon if you are wearing them with flexible boots and the crampon somehow becomes unclamped from your boot because you flex too far, or if you kick it off while descending, or whatever. If the straps are not long enough to make a complete pass around your ankle, they are too short and you may one day want to wear them with a bulkier boot so if you shorten them so they are just long enough for your current boots, they will then be too short.

If, after wrapping them around your ankles, you have short ends left over -- tie them around your boot laces or something.

Well, I cut mine down on the same crampons. Not super short, but shorter so they don't do that.

If ever they are too short, I will put a whole 'nother new set of straps on them...piece of cake.

Did you burn the ends to prevent unraveling? How's the ankle doing? cry.gif

yep, burn them.

But matt's right, in case you ever get different boots or sell them or whatever. I tend to customize all of my gear to meet my own needs. I hate stuff like flopping straps, and would rather just make things work the way I plan on using them.

Ankle is average, I guess. It feels fine, I move around, it throbs, I sit.

to anyone else who has the red and silver stubai ultralight crampons... is the strap about 2 or 3 times as long as needed to stretch to the front, inner ankle, and back to the outer edge of the ankle where it's secured?

RTFM.

Wrap around your ankle before clipping.