Larry Kemp

viktor

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was saddened last week when I first heard of Larry’s accident and this weekend while at Smith Rocks I thought of him every morning and every evening as I walked under the Picnic Lunch Wall. If my memory is correct back 1974 he was part of a team that made the first free ascent of the wall.

Although over the last decade Larry pretty much abandoned rock climbing in favor of biking, for many years he was a fixture in the NW rock climbing community. I fondly remember spending many days climbing, cleaning new routes and avoiding his insatiable quest for photo subjects. While I may not have wanted to be photographed I certainly enjoyed his many fine photographs. My favorite is one of Andy Deklerk climbing Biology of Small Appliances. (5.12, Index) At first glance the picture seems like a typical photograph until you notice that Andy’s shoes are untied!

All those who knew him will miss Larry’s enthusiasm, boundless energy, and slightly off kilter sense of humor.

Darryl

This is really sad news to hear. Although I had lost touch with Larry, I climbed pretty regularly with him for a couple of seasons in the mid-80's. He hauled me up many routes that were over my head and in the process I learned at lot. We did a lot of climbing at Index and Squamish; as well as having a great time on NEB of Slesse.