[TR] Mt. Hood- South Side 3/20/2004

iain

Climb: Mt. Hood-South Side

Date of Climb: 3/20/2004

Trip Report:

I love the south side climb, but you would see a grown man cry if you found me up there without skis these days. I had a meeting at Timberline at 0830, but I wanted to get a bit of exercise in before I sat around for hours over by little zig canyon. The solution was to leave Timberline at 0215 and get a south side ski in. Conditions were very good for climbing. Skinning conditions were great, and I got to the top of Palmer by 0315. I had the upper crater to myself, and was on the summit around 0600. The first climber of the day was approaching the hogsback as I was coming down.

Here's a look down the hogsback from the gates. The blob on the ridge is my skis (I didn't think the 0600 summit ice festival would be a fun ski). The first climber of what would surely be a busy day is approaching.

gates.jpg

Here's a view of the Columbia River from the summit at sunrise as it lazily makes it's way to the Portland superfund site.

summit_columbia.jpg

The ski down from the hogsback was miserable, as would be expected that early in the morning. However, some new snow had been wind transported to the depression between Illumination Saddle and Triangle Moraine, so cutting hard skier's right at Crater Rock paid off somewhat, but not as much as usual. I pleaded for the fresh groom on the Palmer like those bitchy teenage ski racers at the summer camps.

Here's a shot of Hood for those wondering how much coverage is up there right now. Plenty. Note the exposed rock below Steel Cliffs, and note the HUGE streak of debris that has been blown across Wy'East! Looks like we had some serious wind late last week.

hood_tline.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice photos iain - what a great day. Here's to never ever ever hiking down the south side. bigdrink.gif Saw you and the pmr posse gathering in the climbers cave saturday morning. We skied down the reid and out through ramona falls - when I have a chance to cull some photos later today, I'll post a TR.

we did, but we needn't have bothered because my former friend the snowboarder left his keys to the shuttle in the van up at timberline. Also, the road to ramona falls was closed, so we pretty much had to park at Lolo pass road. So it was a longer day than planned, but a great ski.

there's still a lot of snow in there... we were able to ski down to within about 1/4 mile of the gate (which is at the bridge over the Sandy), so I doubt that road will be melted out for another month. I'll put up a TR later tonight.

Hey, that first little dot was me! Glad to have met you, iain. My ride down in the death sled was interesting.

Surprisingly, only a few more climbers came up that morning, may a dozen total.

Wave next time you blast past (going up or down). Lon