Tooth conditions?

fooman

Thinking of taking a new climber to the Tooth on Sunday. Is the standard route in any shape to climb right now? I know the 3rd pitch is probably going to be steep snow, but I'm not too worried about that. As I remember the route doesn't keep much snow and gets a good amount of sun, so I'm thinking it'll be clear by then.

Any word to the contrary?

FooMan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fooman,

Welcome to cc.com.

Here is what the south face route looked like on 3/2/04:

1826DasToof_028-med.jpg

It has snowed since then. In the state it was in then, it would be a chilly/wet climb in rock shoes, but not bad in boots. There was lots of snow at the top that would probably make the topout difficult.

You can see most of the route from I-90, just don't wreck your car gaping at it!

Best of luck and please post a TR when you get back!

Cheers,

-AF

definitely bring boots this time of year, and maybe a short axe for the steep snow to the top. Last pitch (two weeks ago) had several inches of snow on it.

Here's a shot looking down the last pitch. There is probably less snow as it's been really sunny and warm since.

loren_rap.jpg

Thanks guys, ya I'm hoping the recent warm weather and rains might have melted some of the snow we got last week off. Guess we'll find out. Doing the last pitch with a couple inches of snow on it sounds interesting... guess we can always turn back if things look sketch at that point. (they are new so I'm not going to push too hard)

Will give a TR.. hope the weather holds through Sunday.

FooMan