Orient Bay, Canada to ice climb

Dima

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Agawa Canyon near Sault Ste. Marie is somewhat closer to Chicago, but you need to catch the "Snow Train" to get into it.

I've never climbed at Orient Bay, but from talking to friends that have, I recall that some climbs are only steps from the road, while others have 30-40 minute uphill approaches.

I climb in Orient Bay on a regular basis.

Actual climbing is about 20 minutes or more (depending on what area you are aiming for) from the town of Nipigon, where most people stay.

Approaches, as paul said can be anywhere from 50m or a couple miles. You will almost always have to go uphill for a short while...nothing overly strenuous. Snowshoes are highly reccomended especially for the longer approaches and less frequented areas.

There are a number of multipitch routes. ANd lots of stuff from wi2-6. Best times to go are late Nov (when its in) into mid December OR March-May (often in during the first week or two of may)...that is unless you dont mind below zero temps and dinner plates to feed the city of seattle off of...then by all means go anytime!

Kama Bay (loooonger approach), Ice Station Superior, and a newly developed ice park in Dorian are also good to check out. There are some new areas in the process of being developed as we speak, including some wicked hard mixed/dt routes. Should have more information on them come mid march. THunder Bay also has some GREAT climbing.

If you are coming from the states, the best way to do it would be to fly into Mpls/St Paul and rent a car....the drive is about 7hrs. Or fly into Duluth and cut off a couple hours of drive time.

The Nipigon Ice Festival takes place March 5-7th. You can check the website for more information www.nipigonicefest.com Its coming up soooooon, but would be a great time to get introduced to the area.

If you want some route suggestions, let me know. I would be happy to throw some out your way

Oh yes...and I would reccomend OB over Montreal River (sorry shaunp if you are reading this).

www.nipigonicefest.com Its coming up soooooon, but would be a great time to get introduced to the area.

If you want some route suggestions, let me know. I would be happy to throw some out your way

Sure, please suggest something. Are you going to be there for the ice fest? Can I somehow join you guys? cry.gif

I agree to be your belay slave blush.gif for 1 day.

O/w I will be cool.gif

Thanks

Im actually somewhat consumed with activities that weekend between bringing a group of people up there from work and assisting with clinics. There are plenty of clinics (either free or minimal cost) which you can join and definately get to climb. Otherwise, there are always people open to letting others join them.

DO you live on the west coast?

Suggested climbs in Orient Bay

Tempest (WI2+)...a must! 70m'

Go Mar Falls (WI3) 85m Snow shoes a necessity.

April Ice (WI3) 20m

Glace Eclantante (WI3+) 60m (In GREAT shape right now!)

10% Real (WI5) 75 m S. Loop of Ice Palace

Reflection Wall (WI5) 80m (Go for a first ascent on the two lines to the right...both mixed)

Cascade Falls (WI3) 40m Rap anchors at top

Obsession (WI4) 60m shortest approach ever...maybe 50m?

Sycho Icycho (WI2+) 50m I HATE this climb for personal reasons, but most people REALLY enjoy it. Can make for a great first lead.

Tears Of Joy (Wi3+) 80m Kick ass climb!

Andromeda Weeps (WI4) 70m

Mellow Yellow (3+) 60m?

River of Frozen Dreams is suppose to be nice...kindof considered 'rivering'...lots of little climbs along a river.

Ive only climbed once in Kama Bay...that was Grandy Mardy Falls. Very kewl rivering to a huge ice wall...(wi4-5 with some possible mixed)...40-50m? Rumour has it you can keep rivering after the first wall and hit another. Hmmmmm?

The ice park is pretty cool. It will be busy with clinics during the ice fest. Their website is www.eaglecanyonadventures.ca

www.wesbender.com has some links to updated photos in OB if youre interested.