• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
matt_m

The new ultalight tents...

Any opinions on the new BD tents? What about that REI quarter dome UL? Sub 4lbs ain't bad though the BD goes sub 3 - don't need the 4 season capabilities either...

BD tents: They don't breathe so hot, so if you don't need the ultralight 4-season sturdiness, I'd say don't bother. Sturdy & light for those who need them.

BD tents: They don't breathe so hot, so if you don't need the ultralight 4-season sturdiness, I'd say don't bother. Sturdy & light for those who need them.

BB, you talkin bout the new Epic-fabric BD tents or the regular Todd-Tex Biblers? I haven't tried the new Epic tents yet, but understand part of the deal with Epic tent fabric is that it's more breathable than Todd-Tex and Gore-Tex laminate.

I've spent a ton of nights in the REI QD. If you are under 6', i'd say go for it. The footprint is small, for sure, but the 2 door thing helps a lot with traffic. I've slept in 20 degree weather in one and it works in those conds too. Can't say how it does in wind, but otherwise, everything is good on that tent...if you aren't too tall. I have also had it on the scale and without stakes it is really 3 pounds 11, as advertised. 4 stakes add 2 ounces.

BB, you talkin bout the new Epic-fabric BD tents or the regular Todd-Tex Biblers? I haven't tried the new Epic tents yet, but understand part of the deal with Epic tent fabric is that it's more breathable than Todd-Tex and Gore-Tex laminate.

I'm sorry, doesn't the original post specifically ask about the new BD Epic fabric Ultralight tents? wink.gif

I have a Lighthouse, and it ices up pretty bad. Haven't been in fowl weather in it yet. I've also got a Megalite, which also ices pretty bad (Sil ain't breathable) but has been bomber in high winds when set up properly.

Check out Stephenson's Warmlite at www.warmlite.com. The 3R may be the ultimate tent. It weighs 3.75 pounds complete and sleeps 3. The fabric is scary thin, but it has proven durable for me.