Parking at Crystal Mtn turnoff?

philfort

We're planning to maybe snowmobile into White River CG and head in to glacier basin this weekend for some freshies sat-sun. I called the forest service and they said the old sno-park just a few feet up the crystal mtn road is no longer maintained, but that I could park there if I could get in. Does anyone know how feasible that is - is there a huge amount of snow there that would have to be moved, or have people been "self maintaining" it? Surely there are some folks here who drive to crystal regularly and may have seen its condition?

They told me I would get towed if I parked on the highway.

Also if anyone else with a sled is interested, you're welcome to come along (my skier towing capacity may be maxed out).

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't answer your question but would like to ask you a couple...

My riding buddies have been throwing out the idea of getting sleds. What kind of sled do you use (specs...make, model, yr, cc displacement, track and depth)? If you use an older sled do you ever feel the need to upgrade? Finally, is the hassle and cash worth it? Yeah, I've been on sleds before but not for accessing slopes to snowboard. Also, I wish I could have back the time I spent at the "Sno Parks." Those places should really be called Sno Zoos or something. I hope you don't mind answering these questions.

Thanks phil,

Eerie.

I use an older sled, an '88 yamaha exciter 570, .75 inch track depth. It's noisy and belches lots of smoke, but it's been reliable so far, of course I only put 100 miles or so on it per winter. I was worried that it would get bogged down and useless in deep snow, but that's never been an issue as all the logging roads I've been on have been somewhat packed. Maybe this weekend will be the first time blush.gif

It is kind of a hassle though, and I find myself not wanting to use it that often. Just adds complexity to a trip.

I will be looking to sell it at the end of this season, as I'm probably being an idiot and upgrading to a more enviro-friendly 4-stroke for next season.