Fairbanks ice

sketchfest

Hey Will,

If you can get over to Ft. Wainwright my project manager says that they have a two story ice curtain that has formed on some scaffolding that you can climb. Prolly only rated WI2 cause if you get tired or sketched you can always step off into the scaffolding. Apparently the scaffolding sits right next to some type of steam plant and over the course of the winter it has just continued to build up on this thing. He says it's solid from top to bottom...what would you call that? Ice-buildering?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the gym I use is on Ft. Wainwright and it's right next to the power plant. Fucker puts out mad steam so i bet there's a big hoar curtain on it. It may be the scaffolding on the new hospital they're building.

Either way, I'm civy DOD employee so getting over there is no prob, but it was -50F this morning and about -43F right now...it'll only get thicker unless they move the scaffolding. I can't find a partner but this is probably an undertaking best left for after dark (which is all but about 4 hrs of the day). Maybe I can get one of the new honeys to shoot some pics.

Downside is that the provost marshall's bldg (da MPs) is right near there too so I might get the smackdown from some copper-types. I'll check it out next time I go to the gym.

From what my guys tell me, that's the one. they wont be moving the scaffolding any time soon because there is a problem with the structural steel on that elevation, which means my crew can't install the windows which bolt to the steel. I think the contractor and the COE would be fine with a scaffolding FA as long as you met all the OSHA requirements. yellaf.gif

Dude, I drove around there five times after working out tonight. We're talking the new hospital right? Scaffolding everywhere. I made five laps around the block and two around the power plant itself. I couldn't see any ice on the scaffolding...there's all this clear-ish plastic around alot of it, so it would be hard to tell the difference from far away in the dark.

Ask buddy if you can see it from the road or is it in the middle of the site or something...or is it actually at the poweplant itself....that's about 1/3 mile away. I took tools cramps and plastics in the car but didn't want to go lurking around the site since there's barbed wire topped construction fences and stuff. Good way to get shot.