Does anyone make a Ti snow picket?

Jedi

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pull tests have been done up on rainier with rope failure before picket failure...

really? whoa! i woulda thought a carabiner would fail way before a rope.

and i carry and sometimes place pickets too. they are like tricams: they work great when they work great.

maybe it was the carabiner, I don't remember, needless to say, they can be strong or totally crap imaginary as you prob. well know. Those pickets in the test were built for rescue anchors, so naturally some time was spent getting good placements. I think it was two in series vertically that held best. Also a bollard was pretty much unbreakable in the test if I remember right.

When the snow is soft, flukes work much better, and yet I've talked with many people who say they never use flukes because, "they don't trust them". Granted, the chances of an unarrested fall are less when the snow is soft, but I've seen many cases where you have soft snow with a crust on top that would allow a body to slide and yet prevent self-arrest. So I'm trying to get at the reason. Is it a misunderstanding of when and how to use them, or is it just that the situation where they are useful doesn't occur frequently enough to justify carrying them?

It seems to me that all those problems could be solved through design changes. The burr problem could be solved by addition of a steel strike plate (an has been on some models). The release problem could be solved by adding a retrieval cord. They carry just fine in a shovel pocket, although they aren't terribly handy there.