Congress Votes Itself Another Pay Raise

allthumbs

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year the federal general-schedule (the pay tables) gets a slight cost of living increase, usually around 2-3%. This year it was only 1.5%.

The congress gave themselves 2.2%. Now I don't think 2.2% annually is out of line, but the fact that they gave themselves more than Joe Average govt employee is BS.

FWIW, inflation tends to fluctuate around 2-3%.

Actually G.W. declared the federal employee pay raise of only 2% by executive order (1.5% cost of living increase and .5% locality pay). Congress has a 4.1% increase for federal employees in the huge omnibus apropriations bill. If they ever pass it and get it to W's desk the federal employees will get the pay raise most likely retroactively to January 1. Geek_em8.gif

We're a little different in AK, no locality pay for us because we get a separate COLA instead.

Actually, the OPM tables I've seen show varying amounts of total raise (e.g. PDX 2.07% total raise and Seattle 2.16% total raise) I think the locality pay bit was raised in its percent of the pay. i.e. PDX has a 13.6% locality for '04, it was 12.97% in '03 (fuzzy math I know). So they raised the whole scale 1.5%, then raised the locality .5% and then computed the locality based on the updated gen sched. Or something like that.

Either way, I get a 25% tax free COLA for living where a gallon of milk costs $7, and a sixer of good stuff runs $9.

I hope they get the Omnibus passed, because there's shitloads of pork for AK in there (thanks Sen Stephens!) and I need that 4.1% for my new H2 I've got on order smirk.gif

Seriously though, I'm trying to save for my first house and I need that extra loot.

On top of leaving for the holidays last month without extending unemployment benefits; hope the bastards choked on their champagne.

madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmad.gifthumbs_down.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is is no honor to be rich and famous in any society where people still go to bed hungry..."

-Ghandi