Shell Fabrics

browntoe98

I'm looking to replace my old REI Gore-Tex shell pants. They were about ten years old and I've lost them. Can anyone give me input on the various types of laminates? 2 ply vs 3 ply? REI Elements vs Gore-Tex vs Genesis vs Pre-Cip? Should I resign myself to a $250.00 pair of pants or is there some way to avoid that massive $$$ outlay? I'm sure bummed about my old pants frown.gif They were "longs" and fit well.

thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used a variety of shell fabrics including Gore-Tex, Triple Point Ceramic, Cloudburst and Pre-Cip. My experience with these are that they function the same in terms of waterproof/breathability.

My Precip jacket has been reasonbly durable, but I think the fabric is too delicate to use in pants for skiing/mountaineering /ice climbing. A partner shredded his quickly.

Consider a pair of stretch woven pants such as Schoeller. I have found these to be very functional and durable. Some of the more weather resistant varieties (Schoeller Dryskin Extreme for example) are great for winter climbing or skiing.