Glacier Peak

Cando

Looking at skiing in to Glacier Peak (Sitkum route)in the next couple of weeks. The FS claims FR #23 is open approximately 5 miles (Crystal Creek?) I'll wait until the road is open to the Owl Creek TH given the already lengthly approach via kenndy hot springs.

Question: Does Anybody out there have first hand knowledge of a ski approach into Glacier/Sitkum via kennedy hot spring during this time of year?

[big Drink]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe, still here reading, so may as well reply. I remember thinking last year that it would be easier with more snow, and it probably would. However, the section between the PCT and boulder basin is possibly/probably too steep to skin (although maybe with snocover you could put in a switchback trail somewhere). It may also be difficult to ski down that section with a gigantic heavy pack on. But, let me know how it goes, I think you probably have the right idea.

In my opinion, the approach is easier when there is no snow below timberline (there will be lots of mud on the flat portions of the hike, but you can probably move faster through this than skiing through tree-wells and over deadfalls). I've been up there at this time of year on a lower snow year when you could walk to Kennedy, there was snow to the point where the route starts up the steep climb toward Boulder Basin, and it was dry most of the way up that climb toward the basin. If it is snowy, you may have difficulty following the trail for the first few miles after the hot springs, but the route here veers away from the creek and back again so it may be easier to follow the edge of the bluff above Kennedy Creek. The Sitkum is an enjoyable ski run, but watch for a couple of crevasses or creep cracks, just before topping out over the first rise above the basin, and again going around and passing that rise, where the summit pyramid comes into view.

[Confused] the first 5 miles are flat, the second steep and windy enough to make skiing seem inefficient, so I would say (I've done this approach 3 times) that it would be way faster in later season superlight without skis, when there is little snow on the trail

I did it last year over memorial day weekend. There is a lot more snow this year so it will likely be a lot different.

For me, it was hiking on foot all the way past Kennedy h.s. and then up the steep trail to boulder basin. Around kennedy or so, there were patches of snow, but it wasn't continuous.

It's a long approach however, but the views from up high were really fantastic, of course I forgot my camera.

So, I say go for it, but expect a long slog, which you probably already know.

The ski was pretty good, but the partly cloudy conditions made for mush rather than corn. If I do it again, I think I will either try for a fast light deal or bring extra food and try to stay for a few days