Chelan County SAR?

max

Does anybody know what{s going on with the CHelan COunty SAR posse? I heard some rumor about the tech rescue posse going away and it seems like the last ime Iwas in wenatchee I saw a sign about something like the sherrif was looking for volunteers? Am just making stuff up here or is there something Chelan COunty Climbers should know?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Posse is going away. There was an article in the L-worth Echo a while back. SAR folks will be part of the Sheriff's new Citizen's Corps or some such. Sounds like the Posse boys needed to be reeled in, probably a good change. I'd expect you can find more info on the Chelan SOs homepage.

I hate to be a dork and bring this one up again...

I cjecked out the chelan SAR web page and din{t really see anything addressing this issue. Maybe I missed it. What else can you tell me and what do you mean by "needed to be reeled in?"

thanks

A Google Search found this from the KPQ site. The print articles seem to be harder to get. I remember some classic quotes though of Posse members saying stuff like "the sheriff can't tell us what to do, we don't work for him." Also seems like they were an old boys club - had issues with women and new members in general.

CHELAN COUNTY SHERIFF'S POSSE DISBANDED

THE CHELAN COUNTY SHERIFF'S POSSE IS BEING DISBANDED. CHIEF CRIMINAL DEPUTY MARK MANN SAYS SHERIFF MIKE HARUM HAS TRIED OVER THE PAST SEVERAL WEEKS TO WORK THROUGH ISSUES IN TRANSFORMING ALL OF THE SHERIFF'S VOLUNTEER GROUPS INTO A "CITIZEN'S CORPS" UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE. MANN SAYS A FEW IN THE POSSE WERE VERY RESISTANT TO THE CHANGE. HE SAYS THEY WOULDN'T ALLOW THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE TO AUDIT THEIR BOOKS, AND TOLD THE SHERIFF THAT HE WAS NOT IN CHARGE OF THE POSSE. MANN SAYS WHILE THOSE FEW WERE LET GO, THE REMAINDER OF THE VOLUNTEERS WILL FALL UNDER THE CITIZEN'S CORPS UMBRELLA. MANN SAYS HAVING SEVERAL VOLUNTEER SEARCH AND RESCUE ORGANIZATIONS LED TO FRAGMENTATION, AND THE NEW ARRANGEMENT WILL LEAD TO BETTER COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION.

• 3 weeks later...

The Chelan County SHERIFF's Posse has been disbanded. There have been political differences between the Posse and the current CCSO administration. Skuttlebutt says the Posse is restarting w/o the "Sheriff" in its name and will be available for search and rescue missions under the direction of the Sheriff IF he wants to use them (remember that under RCW the county sheriff is responsible for all SAR missions in his county.

In the past the Sheriff's Posse has been involved in a lot of the non-technical search and rescue missions in Chelan County (lost hunters, hurt snowmobilers, etc).

On the other hand, the Chelan County Mountain Rescue Association (CCMRA) is alive and well. CCMRA typically does high angle and technical rescues and evacuations, althought we occassionaly assist with non-technical missions. CCMRA is an autonomous organization of volunteers who work under the direction of the Sheriff's incident command structure, but are independent of the CCSO. Recent missions have included the recovery of an avalanche victim and a recovery/rescue on Snow Creek Wall.

I would be happy to offer other information off the bbs - please feel free to PM or e-mail me

Freeman Keller

secretary/treasure - CCMRA

www.ccmra.org