Eastside ice...

sobo

...NOT!

If you're planning to come over to the Little Naches River drainage climbs over the holidays, fuhgeddaboudid!

Strobach is no better. While we've had a lot of new snow and the weather has warmed a bit, making for more free water to help form the climbs thumbs_up.gif, it just hasn't stayed cold enuff long enuff to put anything in climbing condition by Christmas. thumbs_down.gif

Over and out. bigdrink.gif

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Bo,

What's the word on the Strobach approach? I was up there today, and both 1202 and 1203 were groomed and labeled "Snowmobiles only". 570 was also groomed for 'biles but not posted. Didn't have the nads to try it in the Subaru. It was cold enough for ice to be forming, though.

Thnx.

The forest roads 1201, 1202, and 1203, and all subservient roads accessed from those roads, are seasonally closed to motor vehicle (on-road) traffic every year after there is "enough" snow to support over-the-snow vehicles. Therefore, this would include Road 570, as well as many others in the area. Only Road 1200 (South Tieton Road Loop) and a short stretch of Road 1201 to Camp Ghormley (Christian ) Youth Camp remains open to cars/trucks.

Notwithstanding that, the original developers of Strobach would take one of their "monster" jeeps and essentially "unimog" their way up the closed roads to as near the climbs as possible. This, while slightly illegal, was great fun and highly exciting as speeding snowmobilers, thinking the closed roads were entitrely theirs to use as they pleased, were met by Yale's monster jeep around blind corners. yellaf.gifyellaf.gif

The truth is, tomtom, is that you will (legally) have to park along Road 1200 and hump it in from there, unless you have access to a snow machine. This is what makes Strobitch soooooooo much fun. It's all in the approach! evils3d.gifgrin.gif

I know, I know, why would you climb over here when it's -20C in Canada? Well, because I only had one day to get out after a couple of missions this week.

Horestail Falls is in, frozen solid. A great solo!

Peekaboo is in, although it still is a toprope.

Other stuff at the Great Wall and Drowning Pool is on the way.

Anybody go in to Strobach since New Year's?? geordie? Big Wave? tomtom? Spill it if you did!