the 20+ essentials

Gary_Yngve

Hi all,

I'm a new guy here and I want to climb really cool mountains, so I'm taking this really cool course from the Mountaineers. They decided to replace the 10+ essentials with 20+ essentials, because the 10+ essentials are now obsolete with the changing world. Last lecture they outlined the additional essentials. and the reasons for them I don't think they are all necessary, but I was wondering what your opinions are:

11) GPS: The earth's magnetic pole is drifting, and we won't know how to adjust our declination. In fact, the pole may switch from North to South without us knowing!

12) Men/Women signs: So stragglers know which side of the trail to wander off during a party separation. Note: this item may be shared by the group.

13) Ice axe: You never know when you'll have to self-arrest or splint a leg.

14) Helmet: Masking tape with your name on it doesn't stick well on your forehead.

15) Blood pressure cuff. It is important to check the vital signs of a wounded person, such as one who has a sunburn.

16) Extra extra food.

17) Duct tape repair kit. How are you going to repair your duct tape when it breaks?

18) Mountaineer student pin. If you do not wear the pin in a visible location on your climb, you may not get credit for the summit. You may take off the pin only when sleeping or in a crevasse.

19) Really expensive watch with all sorts of fancy features. For maximum effectiveness on trail, it must be bought at REI.

20) Sherpa: To carry all the extra gear.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, most sherpa must take the basic climbing course. As well as be fluent with Marth Stewart's "Cooking for High Altitude, It's a Good Thing" and "Tea: The Life Giving Elixor."

Mountaineers course can be substituted with a Mazamas course, or by reading "Siege Style Tactics for Dummies."