Gay/Lesbian Adoption

allthumbs

I saw this in the Denver Daily (no internet source unfortunately) today:

Per the story, up to 60% of adoption agencies will accept applications from gay/lesbian prospective parents and up to 40% have already performed adoptions with at least one gay/lesbian parent.

Seems to me this is an area where reality is already FAR ahead of the policy debate.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me this is an area where reality is already FAR ahead of the policy debate.

I would argue that reality---that is, the reality of what is in the best interests of children---is being totally overlooked here.

Go ahead, spray away. Call me a gay-basher (I'm not). Tell me that all that matters is love and support of a child. It isn't. Part of what a child learns growing up with a man and a woman is a frame of reference for who girls and boys grow up to be. The kid has that frame of reference in the two people who are most central to his life: His mom and dad. They are role models, they are information sources, and if they do reasonably well as partners, then he has a good frame of reference from which to build a relationship himself with someone of the opposite sex when he's an adult.

Same-sex adoptions are about the adopting parents and not about the adoptees. Love ain't enough to give a kid the tools to operate confidently and comfortably in this modern world. Those of you who can't see the big picture on this subject are either extremely naive about childrearing, or can't take your militant "my rights" glasses long enough to be objective about it.