QUESTION FOR SEATTLE "LOCALS"

YWESKI

Hi all,

I've got a question that I'd like to ask all the locals in Seattle area. There was a tent company called Garuda Mountaineering which made stellar mountaineering tents. Later, the company was bought by Dana Designs. Anyway, I am trying to get my hands on these tents (specifically a solo tent call the Atman), Does anyone know if any local retailer still have them by chance? or perhaps anyone who like to sell the tent? I prefer the Seattle-made version rather than the Dana version (which was made in China). Any lead is greatly appreciated. BTW, what ever happen to the original designer of Garuda Mountaineering? wave.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Garuda Kusala (or maybe Kasala?) tent that I have literally only used a couple of times. That's 2 (two) times, one of which was in my backyard.

It's a two person, single wall tent. Weighs sub 5# I think.

Very strong, but a bit tricky to put up (most singlewalls are).

I'll take $200.

I haven't seen the Garuda tents around in a couple of years. They were good tents. Nothing to write home about, but good tents.

The single wall, if I recall correctly, was designed to vent, not breath. A buddy had one and didn't like it compared to his Bibler. He sold it and was happy to have done so.

Does Dana Designs still make them?

The MSR tents are originally Moss tents. Moss was bought by MSR a few years ago.

Dana/K2 bought Garuda a few years back and didn't have any success with the series so they dropped everything except the tarps.

I don't think anyone is marketing the Garuda tents anymore.

Edited by Crackbolter

I do have the I-tent from Bibler, too. From my understanding, Garuda, Bibler and Integral Designs make their tents with single wall/breathable fabric. But I think Bibler tents are more breathable than Garuda. Although I like Garudas' desings better.

I guess we all have our opinions, I never had problem with my Garuda(s). I have a friend who also had problem with his Bibler, but it does not mean that Bibler makes crappy tents. The majority of the Garuda users are quite happy with theirs, and I am one of them. BTW, where is that picture that you mentioned, Figger Eight? hahaha.gif

• 7 months later...

Just happen to run across this string - you are most kind to offer your last inquiry (your first ones i unfortunetly can not help with any more - search the net is all I can offer - Garudas have not been made since '97 or maybe '98 - last Seattle ones came out 09/96). I am alive and well, still in the Seattle area. Haven't been active in the outdoor biz since I rather abruptly resigned K2 in '96. Hope most folks are still enjoying their Garudas (understand if some aren't - not all things for all people for all uses - sincere apologies to all those less than satisfied - wish i'd had another 9 years too to develop what i started in the dark ages of SW transitions - many equally sincere THANKS to all those who have enjoyed journeys with their Garuda!). Namaste - BCS

• 3 weeks later...