Ortovox M-1. How is it?

Bug

pindude said:Beck and others, word up. Both the M1 and M2 are single -antenna analog units, only their displays are digital thanks to their processors ( source ). In comparison:

- Arva 9000 is like the M1 and M2 as a single-antenna analog unit with digital display

- Ortovox F1 is a single-antenna analog-only unit (older technology)

- Tracker DTS is a dual-antenna digital-only unit (newer technology than the Orotovox Ms and Arva 9000)

- Barryvox and Orto X1 units are dual-antenna, dual digital-analog units (latest technology)--Steve Reynolds

If something has a digital processor - wouldn't that make it digital?

I like the solution proposed elsewhere - instead of the analogue/digital divide, make the much more useful distinction of a "directional" beacon. This would cover the Barryvox, Ortovox X-1 and Tracker - beacons which give you input as to both the distance, and the direction to head to find the victim.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not a tranceiver tool, although my posture on this site is often confused with that personality...

no, i think its a matter of how hard they've been abused, like dropped onto concrete, etc. I certainely use my going on six years old F1 and have no intentions of replacing it anytime soon.

And my bad, i thought the M series had two antennas, but it is analog. I know that. the digi was just the display, it had no screening filters to manipulate the signals like the barryvox, the x1 and the SOS BCA. I will still talk to Minot.

And, an F1 is a fine avy beacon with superior range, i would recommend to the original poster to spend an extra 30-50 bucks and buy a new F1... try the alaska avalanche education center and tell them you want to do a group order. you can usually get f1s for 10-15 % off

cracked said:

Or just spend the cash and get a Barryvox..... My life's worth more than 300 bucks.

You mean your partners life. The signal your Barryvox broadcasts is of the same frequency, and similar power (in the absence of data, a reasonable assumption?) to every other new beacon. I may sound pedantic - but based on Beck's data (I know, I know..) the only person your directly cheating by scrimping and buying a usedbeacon, is you!