traction splint with yer Fliplock Poles

gapertimmy

http://www.geocities.com/slishmansplint/index.htm

Stumbled upon this site the other day. Pretty neat, this guy has tricked out some BD fliplock poles and has created a multi-use tool out of his trekking poles. Everyone knows you can splint with a pole, but using the expansion of the trekking pole as a traction splint (with the aid of some webbing or straps) i thought was a pretty cool idea, and may come in handy if a partner takes a big ride in the BC.

Thought I would share.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats the lame thing, the guy invented it while working at University of New Mexico. So the University owns the patent rights in the US. He has sold the rights in the UK to some company so you can buy them in the UK, but not here.

Though I think it looks very basic. I'm going to attempt to just use some webbing (utilizing stuff i normally have while skiing) or some accessory cord and fancy a traction splint from it.

The only unique thing he has done is hollowed out the hole of the handle and has made a pulley system out of it for relocating shoulders. There is a .avi video of this on the site.

Anyhow, i'm gonna try it out and will post pictures of my findings.