Fun Things to Do on a Saturday Night...

carolyn

Packing...

Something I really dont enjoy doing. frown.gif

Especially when Im not sure what exactly my plans are going to be. rolleyes.gif

I want to be prepared for any and all opportunities. However the last thing I want to do is lug around a bunch of extra gear.

So, when travelling half way accross the country, not knowing with who or what your climbing plans are going to be, what do you keep at home and what do you bring with?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harness, shoes, helmet - maybe a rope and draws. Wouldn't sweat the rack as you should have no trouble finding partners that will take care of that.

Backpack and sleeping bag, appropriate clothing for alpine if that's on the menu. Crampons and ice-axe if you are thinking in terms of snowy routes.

I have always packed as tho I were going to be soloing or doing all the leading. I have always gotten in lots of climbing that way. This includes multiple trips to JT, Re Rocks, Mt Lemmon, etc. There will always be a day or two where nobody steps up (well I'm not female) and I still want to climb.

Crap! My rope was the one thing I decided not to bring. Guess its time to reconsider,eh?

Bug said:

There will always be a day or two where nobody steps up (well I'm not female) and I still want to climb.

Just struck me as an interesting comment, because I have heard it before...'youre female so you shouldnt have any problem'. In my experience Ive been more limited at times because of being female. I dunno, it probly all equals out in some wierd kind of way in the long run. wink.gif

bigdrink.gif

-c

carolyn said:

Crap! My rope was the one thing I decided not to bring. Guess its time to reconsider,eh?

Bug said:

There will always be a day or two where nobody steps up (well I'm not female) and I still want to climb.

Just struck me as an interesting comment, because I have heard it before...'youre female so you shouldnt have any problem'. In my experience Ive been more limited at times because of being female. I dunno, it probly all equals out in some wierd kind of way in the long run. wink.gif

bigdrink.gif

-c

Hmm. Maybe it's a skewed perspective on my part. But the examples of male climbers' behaviors on this board seem typical of what I have witnessed at many popular climbing spots. Another male climber shows up and nobody looks twice. A female climber shows up and everybody gathers around and starts sniffin. I do not intend this to be any more crude than the reality I have witnessed. For example, you Carolyn are rumoured to be cute ( I married-not fishing or sniffin). Now why would anyone bring that up? I sure don't know how any of the males on this board rate. Nobody talks about that. Anyway, this is getting into spray.

Just wander into a group of climbers and let them know that you are looking for a climbing partner and I think you would have better luck than I do and it usually works well for me. My guess, and that is all it is, is that you are reading men wrong. A friend of mine (male) was working out at a gym and he noticed three guys walking by looking at him like he was some kind of asshole. Then he realized they were looking past him at a gorgeous girl on the machine next to him. It seems males may look like they are hunting when they should be looking more approachable.

If I'm flying (say, to Green Bay), I bring shoes, harness, helmet, belay device, grigri, daisy and a couple lockers.

OK, most times I leave the helmet back in Oly. But as you probably know, when they say it rains a lot in Washington, they're talking about the torrent of pebbles, choss and general detritus that our young mountains shed constantly, especially against to the comparatively boot-polished and/or sod-anchored climbing terroir of the Midwest.

I'd bring some draws too--if you're stuck in Seattle, you can pick up a day at Exit 38.