The Latest Issue of Alpinist

cracked

I read it last night, and I was disappointed. It's hard to tell where articles begin, visually it was messy, no clear breaks, and I thought the Cochise article was really lame. Some jackass spraying about how 'indian' he felt there, bullshit and spew, IMO. I just didn't like it. This came as a surprise, as last issue's article of Gadd, Semple, and the other dude's route on Howse was staggeringly good. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

cracked said:

I read it last night, and I was disappointed. It's hard to tell where articles begin, visually it was messy, no clear breaks, and I thought the Cochise article was really lame. Some jackass spraying about how 'indian' he felt there, bullshit and spew, IMO. I just didn't like it. This came as a surprise, as last issue's article of Gadd, Semple, and the other dude's route on Howse was staggeringly good. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

I bet you didnt like it cause everyone was pictured wearing Schoeller the_finger.gif

I was thinking the same until I found the Crouch article re Mooses Tooth - thumbs_up.gif .

I never knew the story about the Germans were going to Huntington but the French were there so they went to Mooses Tooth - the Germans had never heard of it. Then Fred arrives - he knows all about Mooses Tooth and is out for the FA but he is a few days too late - the Germans are already on it. He joined them and they put up the west ridge together.

Stories and photos - great article.

Haven't seen the new issue yet, but I'm sure I'll pick it up anyway, I've got them all so far ..

by the way, the "other dude" is Kevin Mahoney from New Hampshire, who has been quietly doing a lot of gnarly stuff in AK, like the first alpine style ascent of czech direct a month before twight and co.

jja said:

Haven't seen the new issue yet, but I'm sure I'll pick it up anyway, I've got them all so far ..

by the way, the "other dude" is Kevin Mahoney from New Hampshire, who has been quietly doing a lot of gnarly stuff in AK, like the first alpine style ascent of czech direct a month before twight and co.

Right, I just spaced on his name. Overall, though, Alpinist is WAYYYYY better than the other mags. Climbing and Rock and Ice belong in the trash. The older issues tend to be better, though.

An aside - again re Mooses Tooth article - I was admiring the inset map of the area. I thought it was clear enough - nicely done. I looked to the credit and its none other than Mike Clelland of Climbing Mag Tech Tips fame, also Allen & Mikes Really Cool ... series of books, Knots for Climbers, etc. That guy has really carved a niche for himself. bigdrink.gif

Dox