Remote North Cascades

snowleopard_x

I haven't been to Azure lake but got a good look from the summit of one of the McMillian Spires last summer. If I remember correctly, it was surrounded on all sides but one by very steep terrain. You could access the lake via the Stetattle Creek valley but that would entail many, many miles of off trail travel. If your goal is to simply photograph the lake, you could use the Goodell creek approach for the Southern Pickets and get close enough for some sweet photos. That approach ranges from 6 to 10 hours depending on size of pack, conditioning blah blah

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to visit some of the remote North Cascades with a bunch of camera gear this late summer (think off trail back pack, no real climbing) and was wondering if anyone had been to these areas, and how hard they were to get to:

Pride Basin - Henry M. Jackson Wilderness

White Rock Lakes - Glacier Peak Wilderness (actually on the tail end of Ptarmigan Traverse, I'd be approaching from Downey Creek/Bachelor Meadows)

Klawati Lake - NCNP

Tiny unamed lake NW of Mt. Triumph - NCNP

Silver Lake - NCNP

Luna Lake - NCNP

Azure Lake - NCNP

I won't be able to get to them all, but will have one month to do my best. I'm also open to any other reasonable spot, as long as it's scenic and rarely visited, and not too dangerous to get to solo.

I have Beckey's three CAG's, but he's vague about some of the approaches.

Thanks to any and all who can help.

snowleopard

Re Azure Lake, a fun journey is to hike up Sourdough trail from Diablo, then venture out on the ridge above Stetattle Creek toward Elephant Butte. Amazing views - just splendid.

We came down Torrent Creek and out Stetattle Creek to make a loop. It was, er, strenuous.

We weren't trying for Azure Lake but it seems remotely possible from there. Hmmm... dont miss Beckeys description of Stetattle Creek before attempting it.

White Rock Lakes - The approach was as bad as it sounds in Nelson's guide as the approach to Dome. Only the biting flies were an exceptional surprise.If I remember right, you'll downclimb the Dana Glacier, nothing serious but watch for hidden crevasses even in mid-late summer.Keep descending below the glacier to keep well below cliff bands. Goat trails are plentiful.

As long as you are out there with the camera gear, check out the view of Glacier Peak from Itswoot Ridge. I caught the best sunset I've experienced in the mountains right there, turning the whole mountain every color imaginable for about an hour.