Getting passed at WA Pass

jja

On saturday three of us did the sw rib on sews. While leading the bear hug pitch I hear "John, are you in a good spot?" I turn around to see some dude in a t-shirt and shorts who had soloed up behind us shivering in the cold. "I'm getting kind of cold, mind if I pass?" So I sit tight at the bomber horn as bobbyperu breezes by.

On Sunday we did nw corner of news. Mick climbs about once a year, Craig's a real good sport climber that hasn't done much trad, and I just generally suck. Add it all together and it = slow. But I never thought I'd get passed so much on one route. Starting up just behind us at the base of the route are Charlie and Christine, they split off right on the west face route as we continue up the nw corner. Another party starts up behind us and catch up to us at the offwidth pitch. Ben and Gus patiently wait in the cold (the sun always seemed about 10 ft away on this route) for us to finish the route, and then pass us on the summit scramble. On the decsent raps, charlie and chris pass us (again) and beat us back to the packs after having climbed news twice (wf and nw corner). I am so suck.

Interesting aside: On the second pitch or so on Sunday, we hear this blood curtling bleating coming from the approach trails. It goes on for about 10 or 15 seconds. We find out later that an unleashed german shepard got gored in the gut by a goat. It's owner was a mom with two little girls with her. Apparantly she tied a coat around it's mid section to stem the bleeding. Don't know if it made it or not.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jja said:

Interesting aside: On the second pitch or so on Sunday, we hear this blood curtling bleating coming from the approach trails. It goes on for about 10 or 15 seconds. We find out later that an unleashed german shepard got gored in the gut by a goat. It's owner was a mom with two little girls with her. Apparantly she tied a coat around it's mid section to stem the bleeding. Don't know if it made it or not.

Sounds like Deja Vu (see previous SW Rib thread). When are people going to learn to keep their dogs on leash?

My partner and I were up there and saw the incident. It was right were the trail cuts up to climb. There was a mother goat and two of her babies. The owner was way behind and the dog came up and saw the goat. My partner tried to grab the dog, but couldn't. The dog (German Shepard) ran for the goat and the goat sparred the dog with both its horn underneath its belly and tossed the dogged. It was like seeing something on the Discovery channel! The dog was gushing blood from it's underside so we helped the lady clean the wound a bit and tied it up to stop the bleeding. She was from Mazama so I hope the dog made it. But wow...as much as I hated seeing the dog get crushed by this goat, it was an awesome sight to see. Nature at its finest. And I am sure the dog won't touch a goat again. But the funny thing is the lady mentioned that the dog does the same thing with deer. Hmmm...may be the dog will be on the leash next time? Then after that we went and climbed a few peaks but that was definately one of the high points of the trip.

mountainguy01 said:

My partner and I were up there and saw the incident. It was right were the trail cuts up to climb. There was a mother goat and two of her babies. The owner was way behind and the dog came up and saw the goat. My partner tried to grab the dog, but couldn't. The dog (German Shepard) ran for the goat and the goat sparred the dog with both its horn underneath its belly and tossed the dogged. It was like seeing something on the Discovery channel! The dog was gushing blood from it's underside so we helped the lady clean the wound a bit and tied it up to stop the bleeding. She was from Mazama so I hope the dog made it. But wow...as much as I hated seeing the dog get crushed by this goat, it was an awesome sight to see. Nature at its finest. And I am sure the dog won't touch a goat again. But the funny thing is the lady mentioned that the dog does the same thing with deer. Hmmm...may be the dog will be on the leash next time? Then after that we went and climbed a few peaks but that was definately one of the high points of the trip.

Go goat! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

It's really unfair of the lady to put other animals through such traumatic experiences.

Gary_Yngve said:

mountainguy01 said:

Go goat! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

It's really unfair of the lady to put other animals through such traumatic experiences.

Dogs can be trained. It IS the lady's fault. Many moons ago, I was a boyscout hiking in the Mission Mountains with a few other hapless lads. One of my fellow fools had a black lab that loved to chase deer. The Mission Mountains are full of grizzly bears and it was just a matter of time before dumbo the dog found a scent and took off. Ted the turd laughed as his dog ran into the brush of the Mission mountains. In about twenty minutes, the dog came running up the trail and cowered at Ted's legs. We all dumped our packs and climbed trees as the bear came running up the trail after the dog. When it heard our yelling, it stopped, sat down and sniffed the air. After a few seconds, it left. If there would have been fewer of us, a few questions pop to mind. We all told Ted that he had to be tied to the dog from then on. The lady with kids is playing with fire. This time it was her dog. Next time......?