Scramble Routes in Tetons/Wind Rivers

PLC

So after consulting the weather channel, the wife, baby, two dogs and I are heading to Wyoming for the next two weeks (original plan was Alaska).

The wife won't belay me anymore since the baby started taking all her attention - so, can anyone recommend a couple good scramble routes in the Tetons or Wind River range? I'll probably hike in to the Cirque of Towers just to scope the area out for next summer - any class 3/4 routes to the summit there that are worth my bother (including explaining to the wife that she'll have to hang out by the lake for a few hours with the baby and dogs)?

Also, I was thinking of doing a one-day climb of the Owen-Spalding route. If I can do Rainier up-and-down in a day, can I do GT?

Swell.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winds = Wilderness area = no dogs allowed.

Also the Cirque is not exactly a day hike in. Especially with wife, kids, and fido. The Winds are great and filled with scrambles and low to moderate climbing, but hey involve what is often a prohibitive approach. You want to commit amble time and resources going in there.

The Tetons are also full of great scrambles. Buck Mtn. has a couple of good ones from the east side. smile.gif I think it is the north or north east ridge that is a real classic and goes at CL4. There is one right up the east face that goes at CL3 too. SW Coulior on the Middle and a good one on the North side of Symetery Spire also (easy day). Plenty moe, see Ortenburger's book. thumbs_up.gif

Yes the OS should go in a day if you are in shape. cool.gif You'll have to down climb a few sections. ooo.gif Not real tough, but it could get real shitty in a fall. blush.gif Or, bring a harness and Belay device and try to smake a ride on someone's rap line. smile.gif

Start real early and do your best to be off the high peaks in the afternoons, thunderboomers roll through quite often. NPS Rangers tend to have good beta (Jenny Lake). cool.gif

Thanks all - great info!

Rodchester - where did you hear that dogs were not allowed in the Winds? This is what I found on the Forest Service web page: "Dogs are allowed on forest. They must be physically restricted (leash no longer than 6 foot or caged - seeing eye dog - exception) while in developed recreation sites.( 36CFR261.14 subpart J). In the back country it is suggested that they be either under verbal control or on leash".

It sounds to me like I can let them off leash in the backcountry...

I would double check it...I know PACK animals are allowed, with certain permits and restrictions. My recollection is that in "WILDERNESS AREAS" no dogs, cats, etc. are allowed. This is usually also true in national parks (backcountry).

There are some distinctions between a national forest and a Wilderness area. The Wilderness Areas are in national Forests, but have many different rules and regulations.

I am no claiming to know all of the rules, but my recollection is that those types of animals are not allowed. Once you leave Elkhart park you have about 3 miles of forest, then you are in the Wilderness area.

Call the Forest Ranger Station in Pinedale, they'll let you know for sure.

Good luck wave.gif

I'll probably hike in to the Cirque of Towers just to scope the area out for next summer - any class 3/4 routes to the summit there that are worth my bother (including explaining to the wife that she'll have to hang out by the lake for a few hours with the baby and dogs)?

The "hike" in with wife, kid, and dog will not be a breeze. crazy.gif Your posts indicates to me that the wife won't exactly enjoy humping the baby over Jackass Pass. Maybe I'm wrong? This would be a very long round trip day hike wi the gang and then get in a scramble while the wife waits a few hours by a lake. My recollection is that it is around 10 miles in and over Jackass Pass and another 10 out. blush.gif Round trip it is certainly over twenty miles and that is without any scrambling. wazzup.gif Granted not an Epic, but not a day hike with wife, kids, and dog.

If you plan to spend more time in the area, which your post didn't seem to indicate, then it is feasible, however, then the wife will be spending more than a few hours by a lake and given the needs of a young child, you'll be humping a lot of weight.

You could leave the wife in Pinedale and day hike in and out, but I doubt you'd enjoy it much. I'd stick to the Tetons. there are soo many great scrambles there. cool.gif

Have fun ... wave.gif

Edited by Rodchester

Was just in the Cirque a couple weeks ago. Definitely not an easy day hike. Looking at the description in the trail guide I figured "This hardly gains any elevation, no problem." Well, it kicked my ass. I wasn't quite acclimated to 10 1/2 thousand feet yet. Anyway once you're there, you want to hang around for a while, it's an absolutely spectacular place. Do yourself a huge favor, aim for the lower pass on the left as you're approaching the Cirque. The main trail gains more elevation than it needs to, then you immediately lose it dropping to Lonesome Lake. If you go w/ the pass on the left, you're in the upper basin which is nicer anyway. Just a little suggestion after I found out the hard way. That's the only stop I made in the Winds, sure there's plenty more great stuff. thumbs_up.gif