Seeking beta on rte to High Pass (near Buck Pass)

Jonathan

Planning on wandering the Napeequa Valley over Little Giant Pass, up the valley proper, ascend Louis Ck. drainage and then over High pass to Buck Pass. I understand the route over High Pass to be a scramble. Scramble being no more than 3rd class and not sustained 3rd class at that. Would like this trip to be more of a backpack than anything else! smile.gif

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed Buck Mountain last year from the Buck Creek drainage. Our route went up to the 6,700+ ft saddle west of Buck. This saddle is where Louis Creek drains south from. While I don't know what the lower end of Louis Creek looks like near the Napeequa River, the upper portions are largely alpine open travel. The aforementioned saddle is one of the prettier places I've been to recently. There is a small, long lake up there that drains to the northeast in a precipitous canyon.

On the north side of the saddle there is a little routefinding to be done to get over to High Pass but it won't be too difficult. From the saddle, drop down from the trees and contour around the left side of the basin over a boulderfield closely above the brush and small trees. Basically, you want to head directly for the lowest part of the East Buttress of Mt. Berge you can get to. You will need to plunge horizontally into the bigger trees next to the buttress for a hundred feet or so. Eventually, this plunging will lead to a steep climber's trail that winds down the south side of the buttress (woodsy) to about 5,900 ft. At this point, the "way" will go around the buttress to its north side by way of a small ramp. This ramp is easily missed going the other way but going north it shouldn't be a problem. Once past the ramp, follow the vertical wall of the north side of the buttress back east to High Pass some 1 mile away. This part of the travel is on open heather and talus. It's pretty there. I don't know anything about the other side of High Pass.

If you go to www.summitpost.com (requires registration), you can see some pictures and a trip report for my climb of Buck. There are photos of the saddle area and the East Buttress of Berge.

The most "scramble-y" of the scrambling here is usually not on rock. There is some steep dirt and grassy hummocks going up Louis Creek, at times without the comfort of branches to grab, depending on where you go. The rest of your proposed route is easier than that.

• 2 weeks later...