Random Thoughts on Pushing Yourself

carolyn

I like to think I try to push myself when it comes to climbing, as well as other aspects of my life. I like to think I take risks and go beyond what I believe I am capable of.

THis weekend I learned otherwise. I DONT push myself enough when Im climbing.

I also learned what an incredible feeling it is when you DO.

Mentally, I pushed myself on a lead ( accidentally) by running it out more than usual. It had the potential to be a pretty brutal fall. The reality of it all set in and I had to deal with it when I couldnt find a piece to place right before the crux. I thought I had been pushing the mental aspect of climbing all along. This was a true test.

Thank god I passed!

Physically, I took the risk of trying a climb that I knew damn well I couldnt finish. Why couldnt I finish it? Well, because...the grade was higher than anything I have done to date. I gave it a go anyway. To my suprise, I sent it.

These experiences got me thinking about how much I have been holding myself back. The majority of it is mental. I have a hard time seeing myself as 'moving forward', thus giving me an excuse to not try harder climbs...or not push myself to even TRY harder climbs.

All this time, the only thing keeping me from moving forward was the belief that I wasnt ready. When all along, I probably was more than ready. I just never gave myself the chance.

bigdrink.gif to those who recognize your limits and push them.

To those who dont...I reccomend giving it a try sometime.

And for those who arent sure if you do...push a little harder and I bet the answer will appear.

thumbs_up.gifto an all too short, but GREAT weekend!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's to you Carolyn! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifHCL.gif

Pushing one's self is the very essence of climbing. I know people who don't want to climb much because they can't climb 5.11 (I can't). But I've always had much more respect for somone getting on the sharp end and pushing them selves to do a 5.8 sport route than climbing a 5.11 that is well within thier ability.

I did my first free solo this weekend. Nothing much, but it added a huge mental crux to the climb. Felt great, though I don't think I'll do that too often. Pushing one's self is one thing. Pushing your luck is another.

Good job! You rockband.gif

woohoo! thumbs_up.gif

i have found that free-soloing gives me a better head when it comes to leading. in free-soloing your focus is on risk assessment (in deciding whether to free solo something in the first place) and then you hyperfocus just on your climbing technique (which includes your mental state) ... because that is all you have keeping you from decking. i find that i am much calmer on the sharp end of a rope afterwards!