Foot pain

If I hike more than 6 miles in a day my feet hurt terribly. On descent my foot pain is almost disabling. My feet aren’t just tired or achy--they seriously hurt! One of my problems is that I have pretty flat feet—I’ve tried countless brands of footbeds (my favorites so far being the “superfeet”), but nothing really helps much. Doesn’t seem to matter what type of footwear I’m wearing (plastics, leather, tennis)--it's always the same painful story. I hiked 25 miles this past weekend--no problems as far as having the energy to hike such a distance, but as far as my feet were concerned—ouch!

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I had plantar fasciitis, I first tried Superfeet and got some relief, but it wasn't until I go custom orthotics that the problem went away. Don't go to just any podiatrist. Find one who specializes in sports medicine. One such doctor is Stanley G. Newell at Northgate. He sees all the UW athletes when they have foot problems. I liked him. His phone number is 206-527-4177.

Courtenay said:

A podiatrist can help, as may this article with suggestions: http://www.bodyresults.com/E2footcare.asp

Correction: A podiatrist might be of help.

I've had foot pain for years, and visits to various podiatrists and orthopedists have not brought any relief. The last one I went to gave me a diagnosis of idiopathic neuropathy and charged me over $200.

Gee, thanks.

I stand corrected, "MAY" help. I personally have never been to one; when I had plantar fasciitis last year (leading to this article at http://www.bodyresults.com/E2plantarf.asp) I found that an Active Release Techniques practitioner (soft tissue therapist) actually was the one to help me, but then again I tend to self-help or look outside of main stream medicine for any issues that I experience... For every situation, there is SOMEONE out there who can help in some way, the key is to find the right person for the issue. Good luck.