Wedgewood Boulder?

Alpinfox

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scripts/nph-brs.exe?s1=&s2=boulder&S3=&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect3=PLURON&Sect5=CODE1&d=CODE&p=1&u=/~public/code1.htm&r=1&Sect6=HITOFF&f=G

SMC 12A.54.010 Climbing prohibited.

It is unlawful for anyone to climb or be upon that certain rock or

boulder known as the "Wedgewood Rock" located within the public

street area at the intersection of Northeast 72nd Street and 28th

Avenue Northeast.

(Ord. 99363 Section 1(a), 1970.)

having never been to the "wedgewood boulder," why did the city feel compelled to create code outlawing climbing on the formation? just curious.

Actually, Fox, I highly doubt the reason for that law was a concern for liability. The city did not build the rock and their responsibility would verly likely be zero if some idiot climbs on it and hurts themselves - its certainly much less of a risk than all kinds of hazardous situations all over town that do not have a specific statute. Much more likely is that at some point in the past, climbers made a nuisance of themselves and the neighbors didn't like it.

mattp said:

Much more likely is that at some point in the past, climbers made a nuisance of themselves and the neighbors didn't like it.

Maybe with the popularization/legitimization of climbing since 1970, the Wedgewood neighbors wouldn't see boulderers as such a nuisance now? I promise to be quiet as a I plummet off the sloper....

After all, people put up with noise from little league games and we all know what a bunch of inbred, cretin, goat-fuckers those baseball players are.

It's time for a revolution! Let's call the Access Fund!

FREE THE WEDGEWOOD BOULDER!

fruit.gif

p.s. I still haven't made the long 10 block trek to see the damn thing. I'll rustle up the bivy gear hahaha.gif and some powerbars for a midnight assault sometime soon.