Gregory Makalu Pro

timo

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one of these. Overall, it's a really nice pack. Weighs just under 5 lbs empty, yet will carry 50 lbs comfortably. The only bad thing I noticed was the mesh side pockets. They are useful, but get torn easily by branches or rocks. The only other downside is the price. This thing is expensive compared to similar performing packs made by MEC/Serratus.

Edited by Rainier_Wolfscastle

I had one of these. Overall, it's a really nice pack. Weighs just under 5 lbs empty, yet will carry 50 lbs comfortably. They only bad thing I noticed was the mesh side pockets. They are useful, but get torn easily by branches or rocks. The only other downside is the price. This thing is expensive compared to similar performing packs made by MEC/Serratus.

I was going to get a Arc'teryx Kamsin 62, but it did not fit very well. I tried on a Makalu and it fit pretty well. I can get one for under $300. I am also looking at Osprey's Ceres 70, if i can find one to try on. I am kind of hard to fit. I am looking for a top loader/single sack pack about 4200ci/65L, around 41/2lbs and carry 35-40lbs. I have thought about getting a Serratus through MEC, but I am wondering about returns/cost to Canada because of my fit problems. I have also thought about just spending the $$$ and getting a McHale Super Sarc made. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Timo

I too am a hard-to-fit kind of guy. I have a McHale S-Sarc...bomber pack. It is made out of standard materials, is about 5200 cu in, and wieghs 4 lbs 12 oz with the floating lid/fanny pack and the snow shovel pocket. If I remove the shovel pocket and use the summit flap, it weighs 4 lbs. If you can afford Spectra fabric, and are anal about ultralight no matter the cost, you can get a version that weighs about a pound less but it will jack the price waaay up.

I have four packs and have used several others over the years. McHale's S-Sarc is my favorite and the most comfortable loaded. The pack fits me perfectly, and has the most comfortable harness I've ever worn. However, all this comfort, fit, light weight, and bombproofness comes at a hefty price....$540 with Seattle tax. Have to ask yourself if it is worth it, when you can get two packs from other manufacturer's for that much. I really like Dan's packs, and like I said I am hard to fit (big in the chest, short torso, small waist...I have trouble with a lot of off-the-shelf harnesses and belts no matter what I try) so for me it was worth it. Others may disagree, but to each his own.