Olympus/Hoh River Trail

Alpinfox

Hola,

Here is NPS beta on trail conditions as of 7/1:

This trail has been cleared of down trees to Olympus Guard Station (OGS). There is one 3.5 foot in diameter down tree at mile 12.2 that is impassable for stock. Patchy snow begins near Glacier Meadows. Some campsites at Glacier Meadows are still snow covered.

Anyone been up the trail or blue glacier rte recently with any info to add to this? Any beta appreciated. Snow? Treefall? Snaffle Infestations?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just completed the climb 7/3-7/5. The group hiked in the 15 miles to Elk lk on Thursday, summitted on Friday and then hiked back out Saturday. 48 hours total car to car. The trail is clear of all downed trees all the way through. We didn't see much snow until we passed glacier meadows approaching the lateral moraine. The approach up snow dome has a path now coming off the blue glacier. We were fortunate to have made the decision to summit when we did as the clouds rolled in literally on our heels. Thankfully we wanded the route wave.gif but just barely didn't need them. It was comforting to know they were in place though!! Our only real problem came when 3 of us had only 1.5 miles left till we got to the car and one of my partners needed to piss. The dufus decided to step on a bee nest and before we could get away I was stung 3x, he got it twice. thumbs_down.gif

All in all it was an awesome climb rockband.gif

Trail is clear all the way to Glacier Meadows. GM is completely snow free. Very obvious boot track all the way up from GM to summit pyramid. Right now the route takes a relatively direct line up from the flat part of the Blue Glacier through the rocks up to Snow Dome, but there is a lot of melting going on, so the route will probably divert further to the climber's left as the season progresses.

The bergshrund/crevasse crossing getting from the snow dome side of the blue glacier to the Middle/West Peak side through the rock cleaver is a bit dicey. I wouldn't be surprised if that falls down in a few weeks. On our descent we heard a loud rumble indicating some settling in that area.

A short (one rope length), ~60-degree snow slope leads up to the final rock summit pyramid. Nice steps kicked in, placed a couple pickets, no problems. That slope was not there last time I was up Olympus. Two easy rock scramble options from the base of the rock to the top (one pitch of 5.0ish stuff either way). Amazing how different the snow structure is around the summit from the last time I was up there! Different wind patterns this winter????

Three yellowjacket bites among the four of us on the hike out. My left hand looks like a sausage.

Saw Elk, Blue Grouse (adult and chicks), deer, frogs, and even some ripe huckleberries and salmonberries smile.gif, but no bears confused.gif. Surprisingly few people at GM or above for this time of year.

Beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, beautiful hike, good partners, good snow conditions...

If the guy who found my glove and returned it to me at GM reads this, thanks and IOU one bigdrink.gif