TR: St. Helens Sloggage

Hooked up with the ellusive boonecounty yesterday afternoon for an impromptu jaunt up this pile of washington choss. we bounced up to the new and improved jacks (indeed, no more fat dude, and a fresh remodel to boot!) to pick up the permits and we we're off.

Got up to the sloggers bivouac around 7ish, chubbed, drank coors light, and watched some folks wearing cotton and school type book bags descend soaking wet. Gotta love the crowd.

Spraying, and then sleeping.

Got up at 4, slowly got moving at 5, were on top by 8:30. plab view.

3113helens2-med.jpg

Corn

Turns

Corn

Turns, spray texplorer with a massive wave of corniez

Corn

ExtremoMtDude Sighting, well, not quite, but that would have been plab.

Hike out from timberline back to the parking lot.... where we see the most interesting sight of the whole trip, 2 dudes, apparently pad people (the crash pad in the back of the truck) we're fancying gaiters out of a blue tarp and duct tape, apparently they felt this would assist them in their late afternoon slog up the hill! Priceless. I believe boonecounty is now going to come out with a line of blue tarp apparel for the alpinist. More to follow on that.

I have a few picts that i'll post. Ummmm, if you want to ski helens, do it quick b/c its melting quick.

word.

Edited by gapertimmy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I headed up the Butte Dome Camp route yesterday. Snow starts at 4300 feet and is good all the way to the top. It is about a four mile hike to treeline (4800) this route, but we were the only ones on this route, not another soul. The snow was very firm all the way up, but at about noon it started to soften, and on the way down it really became mush.

Was able to glissade from the top all the way down to treeline. (3400 foot drop in 30 minutes by sliding on our asses! Doesn't get more fun that that!)

I would still recommend crampons and an ice axe on this route, as there are some very steep sections that were ice early in the morning.

Kevin_Runolfson said:

Was able to glissade from the top all the way down to treeline. (3400 foot drop in 30 minutes by sliding on our asses! Doesn't get more fun that that!)

Sure it does, try sliding on your feet cool.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Thx for the info. bigdrink.gif

Kevin_Runolfson said:

(3400 foot drop in 30 minutes by sliding on our asses! Doesn't get more fun that that!)

sure it does. didn't you just read above that you can ski, and not use your ass? hahaha.gif

sorry boonecounty I could not get any time off work this week. btw that ski down was boilerplate awful on Sunday