making pear cider

Mr._Natural

no i am not a fruitcake, i have a pear tree and would like to use them this fall instead of letting them rot, they are pretty mealy so not good to eat raw. so, i assume i will need a press. what about yeast and sugar,fermentation time etc? othert safety issues? i know nothing about homebrewing, thanks

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get an apple press and obtain the juice. You will get the best results if you either boil the juice or add sulfite to inhibit bacteria. Then add brewer's yeast of your choice. Champagne yeast will give the most alcohol. Ferment in gallon or 5 gallon jugs. After a few weeks bottle it and add a little sugar for fizz. There you have it. Hard pear cider.

Mr._Natural said:

thanks, how long do i have to wait to drink it after sugar is added. what kind of alch % can I expect?

If you add enough sugar when you bottle, it'll let you know when it's ready...kaboom.

For beer, you typically add no more than 3/4 cup sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

You might try this site: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/wine/winebooks.asp

It's Midwest Homebrewing Supplies; they have a few books on cider. I'd get a reference to see what you need to do; could be the difference between making something drinkable or a WMD (weapon of mass disgust)

Hope this helps,

e

jordop said:

thelawgoddess said:

i hope you're going hold a pubclub tasting when it's ready. i love pears!!! bigdrink.gif

And I love pairs (*)(*) the_finger.gif

I started making my own beer in grade ten. My vision decreased dramatically soon thereafter Geek_em8.gif

Before I knew about the exact measures for priming bottles, I made beer in a grabage can and then poured it into large plastic soda bottles with way too much sugar. More than a few times a bottle would explode in the middle of the night and my parents would come running into my room at 2am. "Shit, Dad, I dunno what that was" yelrotflmao.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gifcry.gif