Climbing in Cabo?

none_dup1

As charming as our charming NW weather is, I am heading down to Mexico in early Feb. for a respite.

I have seen some pix and read some on-line stuff about trad climbing and bouldering in the Cabo San Lucas area. Does anyone have any tales to tell about this (# of routes, gear to bring, route grades, local contacts etc?) Any info would be most welcome.

Climb con dios

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The climbing is at Lover's Beach. I arrived via kayak and as soon as I started examining the rock wall on the right side (as you look at the beach from the water) a mexican hanging out ran over and started pointing out the climbing. I started up about 10 feet and then came back down. I scoped around the right and it looked like a reasonable descent route. Anyway, the mexican then starts up motioning me to follow. I was in bare feet but the holds were fairly positive. The route was pretty much dead vertical and I'd put the hardest move at 5.7. Total legnth about 80 feet. At the top he was waiting and there was a tricky move to cross over past the 2 bolt belay anchors to the descent gulley. He was already over and kept telling me to where to put my hands and feet. It was very distracting and he was pretty obnoxious about it. I kept telling him to be quiet and then he actually reached out and grabbed my hand to show me where to put it. Thats when I got pissed and told him to not *%$ touch me again!!! Then he got pissed and called me a gringo and headed down. He kept acting like I was screwed because I didn't know where to go. Like I hadn't figured it out already! Anyway once back on the beach he asked me for a $10 tip for being my "guide". I gave him a beer which seemed to satisfy him. Anyway, I wish I had had my shoes because I would have done more. The rock is great; very grainy granite. At Andromeda Divers on the main beach Medano, they mentioned they knew a guide, but I didn't persue it. The guy who drives their dive boat speaks english and can give you beta on where the routes are. I'm sure there are great climbs out there. Some may have to be accessed by water taxi. I'm sure there are quite a few accessable from the beach on both sides. Have fun!!!